timing issues - fiat twin cam

EarthwurmJurm

these motors are quite common for skipping a tooth, i've got a 2l one at home and its one of the weirdest motors to do a timing belt on, you get the pully and set it at 38 degrees or some wak sh!t and then put belt on. You wouldnt be able to figure it out without the book me thinks, i've never tryed running one with it a tooth out but it MAY produce results like you are getting? im no expert tho :lol:

Hey I have done this before on my FWD twin cam.

If you are a tooth out the engine will as flat as a pancake though the revs.

If you go any more than that the valves collide.

For a standard twin cam there are markers that line up with engine markers.

Up top the two cam wheels have notches on the back of them. These should line up with the notches on the cam boxes.

Down below there is a pulley with a marker at around 32 degrees? Cant remember exactly.

On the gear box end there is a hole in the housing where you can see the fly wheel. On the fly wheel there is markers, I think the first notch is TDC.

And should line up with the marking on the gearbox casing.

Put the car in gear and push the whole car to move the flywheel in position.

Should check the Haynes manual though,

30deg. is wrong, it should definitely be 10deg.

The cam timing is easy, there is a dot on each camwheel, these need to line up with the points on the camboxes/and or steel cam timing pointer bolted to the thermostat housing. Also you MUST have the aux. shaft wheel in the right position, the dot at approximately one thirty from memory. otherwise the fuel pump cam on the end of the shaft will hit no. 2 connecting rod.

Also remember they are timed up with no. 4 firing

What I usually do for finding TDC is take out a spark plug (cyl 1 or 4) and put a long screwdriver or piece of wire down and then slowly turn the crank watching it go up until it starts going down then go back to the mid point of the dwell at TDC.