Brake throbbing

peteretep

I replaced the front disks and pads in my galant a few months ago and now when im going over about 80kph and i touch the brakes, the pedal throbs, its not the normal shudder of warped disks, and the steering wheel doesnt shake like I would expect it to

When I replaced the disks, I cleaned all the surfaces. But one disk made a sqeaking sound. So i swapped the disks to opposite sides and the noise seemed to go away, im unsure if that has anything to do with it now

I dont use my brakes that much(engine breaking) plus I rarely go ont he motorway so I doubt the brakes would have had enough use to warp yet

any ideas?

I haven't had much brake trouble so I can't help too much but I remember someone saying if you can feel a shudder through the steering wheel its the front, if you feel a pulse (or throbbing, as you so erotically put it) through the pedal then its the rear drums (/disks).

You have 'pedal talk' and the only thing that does it is discs that are not true to the hub on all surfaces - as far as I know. Perhaps a diagphram issue in the booster but I wouldn't have thought so.

One issue could be that you left a flake of paint or something on a mating surface when you put the discs back on.

Another issue could be that the rotors were machined off the car (if they were second hand) - it is better to do them on the car to allow for mounting vaugaries(sp?)

The other possibility is that you do have a warped disc - even though you have not abused the brakes much.

Chur.

Edit: And as Mikuni so wisely points out it could well be a rear brake issue if the rear is disc too (bloody metric cars....) :rolleyes::D

Hrmm I hope it's not the fronts, brand new rotors and pads not long ago. If the steering wheel doesn't shake it could indicate being the rears?

Jack up the rear and take the wheels off an inspect the rear brakes, check rotor thickness and check for scoring etc, also check thickness of brake pads - should be min of 3mm of brake pad meat. When I swapped over the rear discs the rotors were machined by previous owner and the pads looked to have a bit of meat left still.

yeah thats what I wouldve thought, its definately a throbbing over a shuddering,

Give it another month :lol:

I have the same problem.

Camira started 'throbbing' not long after front pads and rotors (drum rear)

Vectra started shuddering not long after front pads and rotors (disc rear)

205 = sweet after [cheap] front and rear pads and rotors (and trackday hammering)

306 = sweet after front pads and rotors

Both troublesome cars don't seem to have any steering feedback.

Pwnt.

nah my galant used to be his

Oh. Howcome you changed them again so soon?

you say it started throbbing, what did you do to fix it?

Haven't yet. Will probably get a mobile van guy to come and give them a skim after exams. I talked to a mechanic who reckoned sometimes it just happens and you need to machine brand new discs on the car to fix.

i find it hard to belive the those discs woulda warped by now one i dea i just had is to jack up car and semi engage handbrake and see you you can feel noticble highs and lows ...you can fix them *if they are new* by getting a mech to profile them with a on car profiler thing if they are worn however you have to get new ones