Seam Welding

RT

ive seamed a few race cars

mostly around suspenion points and where the rails meet the firewall

and yeah if you dont have a clue dont bother or you car will never drive right

its comon on excorts especially to add gussets from the firewall down onto the chassis rail

and for the rest a good 3 point strut brace with good footings will do a good job

depends on what your tring to acheve...chassis flex is not a bad thing if its the right sort

never heard of good chassis flex. What I'm trying to acheive is not twising up the chassis when lauched at the drags. Not concerned with cornering as it's mainly street/strip material.

the underneath of the car is very simple, in fact, capris don't even have a 'chassis' as such.

I was going to put gussets in as suggested, however this is apparently relevant to hard braking on the track as it supports the firewall from flexing foward by bacing agains the chassis rails.. I won't really be doing hard braking like that..

maybe seam weld the engine bay along the rails (won't see them when the V8 is in) and add a decent strut brace. ?

depends on what your tring to acheve...chassis flex is not a bad thing if its the right sort

:lol::lol: its quite a well known alfa feature/joke, the chassis is designed to flex so that no matter the road surface, the car can bend around it and keep maximum tyre contact :lol::lol:

Some say thats what for suspension is for - me, i remain skeptical

for tortional twist i woudl look at atually adding 2 rails down the length of the car and adding some cross rails on the inside side to side and diagionaly

most sheet metal places can bend you up a rail secion then you just cut and graft it into place

done well it can look very factory and add a massive amount of torsonal rigitity

a little flex helps you not break things

a little flex means you dont have to have massive joints on your suspention etc

same reason basically that sold mounted motors ripp off welded mounts while a small rubber bush on the same mount will prevent that from happening

im sure you get the picture

a ladder setup in the rear will also help :D

I have a real good article on seam welding somewhere on my computer, tho unfortunately it's now in storage for a year.

The article also said that drilling a hole in the door sills and pouring expanding foam in makes a huge difference.

For the spot welds you don't need to use a spot welder. Just get one of those drills you use for cutting out spot welds, cut through the top layer and use a mig to fill in the hole. Then just grind flat and paint it and it can't be seen.

RT yesterday I met a guy with a mk2 in hamilton. He is setting it up for a 302 and he has fully caged it and seam welded it. I have taken a couple of pics of his turreting and welding if you want to see it done.

The only problem is they are are my phone so if you PM me your number and if you're o21 i can send them to you.

If not I may be able to get him to email you some pictures.

The article also said that drilling a hole in the door sills and pouring expanding foam in makes a huge difference.

That's a really nice recipe for rust. :lol:

= why i didnt do it. at least it wont make your car twisty.

For a drag car or something thats garaged though it might be worthwhile.