EX lancer Lowering/suspension queries/questions...

WSKing

hey uh i thought i may as well make a topic for this as i have a few questions about things.

1: does anyone know how low a lancer can go before the springs will be un-captive (with the original unchanged shocks) ?

2: does anyone have any standard springs that i can borrow to send to snells (this is cause my car is a daily and i dont really want to be driving with no springs for a couple of weeks, funny that)

3: my front wheels stick out the front guards a bit, i havent measured it but i would guess it would be about 35-40 mm, do you guys reccomend flares or rolling? does rolling actually widen the guards?

there are probably more questions that i cannot remember, will add if i remember, thanks for your time.

1. get the right length shocks and anything can be captive.

2. not my realm

3. Rolling just pushes the lip under, dosen't really flare them out. Depending on the look you want, flares yeah.

3. Rolling just pushes the lip under, dosen't really flare them out. Depending on the look you want, flares yeah.

Yes and no.

Must people just lip there guards when they do it. Which is just rolling the inner lip up ,

If you Keep winding out the roller and stretching the guard it is possible to widen them.

I got some EX lancer front springs but they're at my old ladies. Will be up there in 2 weeks if you wanna grab em and borrow em. Will need em back, in Wellington too...

Typically, from what I've experienced anyway, Mitsys don't like their springs being cut or compressed too much before coming uncaptive. I'd say like one coil or something.

how much are you looking at lowering it????? i went 3" in my old project EX (do a search in the projects thread, its pretty old now though). compressed springs by SAS in auckland (countrywide business though i think) although they wouldn't guarantee anything over 2". i bought new strut inserts for the front (old ones were original and pretty stuffed anyway plus they're unsealed so once you take them out for machining they're fucked) and had them shortened 2" (enough to get them captive) which cost $80 or so for the shortening from a mate, typically budget around $75 each though. for rear shocks i used 1st gen mirage ones (a common thing for EX's) which need to be slightly modified, you can get new ones but i got mine for about $10 the pair from pick a part.

3" was a bit too much to be honest, looked cool but was a pretty shit ride and heaps of bump steer. maybe better rated springs would fix this but fuck knows where you'd get them, there's not a lot available for EX's locally due to them not being released in Aussie. if i was serious i'd probably make some form of custom coilover setup (not hard if you can weld) and choose springs with the rate you want (ask rally drivers or circuit drivers what they use) then mod the struts to fit.

i also made some bump steer spacers up to fit the bottom of my strut out of mild steel, bit of a mission but made it a hell of a lot better to drive.

love your wheels bro, look awesome on the car but to be honest it will be a mission to get the front guards out cause of the shape of them and EX's look shit with guard extensions (except that green goblin one from malaysia thats on the lancer register, got to be an exception to the rule). hopefully you can get it to work somehow cause otherwise they'll rub hard once lowered and probably not pass a wof if the wheels outside them.

any questions feel free to ask, http://www.lancerregister.com is a good source of info in the EX2000 section, just most of the suspension stuff they use isn't readily available here due to being local ford shit (apparently some of it fits and works but i haven't looked into it too far).

cheers

Matt

right thanks guys, basically i think i will just get it low as fuck. and maybe have the original wheels on the front until i figure that shit out :lol: or just maybe have a minimal amount of travel in the front. bump steering for the win :lol:

dumpez is parting out a starion at the moment, i think its in the parts for sale section.

that said i'd lower it first before deciding on needing more negative camber. i found once lowered i ended up with a couple of degrees anyway and if i had have added 5 (starions struts are + 5ish according to internet rumour) it would have chewed out the tyres pretty damn quick.

cheers

Matt