Help me start my Chevette.

ProZac

Sounds like you've got it pretty sussed. I fucked with my timing once and only once and it took me about an hour to get it started again. Try getting someone to turn it over while you adjust it from advanced back to retarded.

Oh but first just check that the strommie has some fluid in it. Theres a little bung that unscrews from the top. I have no fucking idea what it does or how it does it, but it needs fluid in there. Some cunts on here will know what to put in it. I used trans fluid :oops: My car ran sweet when it was full but when it ran low it started stalling and generally running like arse.

Yea trans fluid is good, needs to be a really thin oil, put some in, you want it high enough so that when you put the plunger back in you start to get a little resistance just before it screws in..

Cheers,Chris

If it's a manual gearbox, take it out for a long tow and see if that sorts it out. Then you'll have no load on the electrics from the starter, just big fat juicy sparks, and you'll soon be sucking fresh fuel through from the tank, replacing any stale stuff there may be in the carb(s).

i once threw myself into a blackberry bush after trying to sort out a starting problem for ages and finding i had left the coil lead juust off for imobilising purposes. even towed the cunt so hard the stabiliser bar bent

No luck yet alas, my week at work has started anew, so i wont get a good go at it till next weekend, all you ideas shall be tried however, and the winning one shall recieve a prize.

If there is no winning idea your all going to burn in the fiery pit of hell, but you know, whatever ;).

Right, fresh fuel straight from the can, no luck. Compression test is worrying:

1) 8 Bar

2) 4.2 Bar

3) 4.5 Bar

4) 6.5 Bar

And thats with chucking some oil down the bores. Still shouldnt stop it from going tho.

Im going to re-wire the ignition circuit myself i think... The ballast resistor is built into the actual ignition wire itself, so you cant replace it if it fucks out... Seems a bit silly to me so i'll run some new wires and hope for a nice strong spark.

Prozc - has this motor sat for a long while?

If so the compression will probably get back up a bit after you start it. Rings gummed and rust on valve faces FTL.

It should still start though with the compression it has. TRDChick is looking for something to do in the weekend - get her over to help with the cranbking etc. :)

Now theres a good idea :). Unfortunatly i have to work both saturday and sunday, but i'll give it another go on monday and tuesday. I'll get some new battery and starter leads and connections as the old ones were getting a little hot under the collar while cranking. My flatmate should be able to take my now some-what flat bettery to his work for a fry-up too.

In better news, i found out what the mysterious disconnected wire near the coil was for... someone added a kill-switch at some stage, so that solves that mystery!

There is definatly something dickey witht he carb... Its had an aftermarket air-filter put on it at some stage, and the throttle linkage has been dicked around with, plus its missing all the choke linkage parts! There is one on trademe im going to get i hope, so maybe that will help.

Cheers all for you help :)