Turbo upgrade on ca18det

Gaz

Was writting a PM response to Pies. After 30mins I decided it may be valuable info to others so here it is..

Will do.

Turbo depends on what power you want out of engine.

Anything over 230kw without a decent ECU and tune you will want to be going forged internals so I guess you want under that.

In which case...

GTiR T28 turbos are pretty good, they can make 200kw @ wheels and a bit more if pushed. They go for around $250-$400 depending on condition and deals at the time. They bolt straight on to the t25 flange and ive eheard you can still use your t25 lines. They are pretty laggy on the Ca tho and wont hit full boost till 4500ish RPM. Basically they are the cheapest way to 200kw by a long shot.

T3: Cheaper option that wont make 200kw @ wheels is one off the t3 or similar of the skylines. These make pretty decent power and the turbos are cheap as chips. They are ceramic wheel however and dont like excess boost. Thinkin its over 12psi but cant member. Still a good turbo for price.. you do have to change flanges tho and prob lines.. Possiably wouldnt work out cheaper than the GTiR T28.

S14 T28 prefacelift turbo I wouldnt bother with unless its around $200. They can make 185WKW on the sr20 so id guess they could make slightly less on a ca. Again a bolt on option.

S14 facelift T28 I think is Ballbearing. I dont know much about these other than ive seen them on trademe for around $450. If they are a similar spec to the above turbo but ballbearing then it could be a good turbo to use. $450 for a bb turbo is fucking cheap. This possiably could be a good option. Id prob hit this over the GtiR t28 but research first..! BB turbos arnt rebuildable for cheap tho so check condition. There should be basically NO play on shaft and wheels to be undamaged.

S15 T28 BB. This guy goues for around $750-900. It has a slightly lower power rating to the GTiR T28 but it has the advantage of being ball bearing. It will make 200KW @ wheels and will be alot more usable due to the earlier boost. If ya want a decent turbo and cant aford the GT28R then get one of these. Again, check wheels and play.

GT28R :twisted: Possiably the perfect turbo for the Ca IMO. Probably because this is what I have Good for over 250kw@wheels and ballbearing so fuck all lag. Will need new lines and depending what model you get an external wastegate also. (there goes $600). Downfall is the price... $1800 will land you a new garret one, $2400 an HKS one. They dont pop up very often second hand.

Those ^^^ are all the comman logical turbo upgrades for the Ca seeking a tad more power IMO.

Others include the t3/t4 combo which makes shit loads of power but high in the rev range.. Is laggy but cheapish for a huge power turbo. Usually want a forged & balanced engine possiably with cams.

TD05h, Awsome turbo and a bit better than the GTiR t28. Also is more availiable and if you roll with the small wheel version then cheaper. You need a diff flange and new line so I would stick T28.

The VG30det turbo is probably an option also. It is a T3 but with a steel wheel so can run alot more boost through the sucker. Prob the pick out of the T3 turbos run on skylines and the likes. Around $500 for one of these, if ya find one!

t25/28 hybrid seems to be getting more and more comman. There are a few of these on trademe for ok prices. These will net you a bit more power but not as much as most the other turbos I have talked about.

I think the later model RB26DETT ran twin BB T28s also. Not 100% sure and prob cost an arm and a leg being GTR.

Have seen large garret T66's run on ca's. Huge lag and prob only want it for a drag car with a hugly modified engine.

Fuck, basically any turbo can go on any engine. Most of the above are off nissans with exception to the Td05 as Mitsi cracked it with these.. Awsome turbo.. could also look into the TD05 from subies or the VH VF series. Possabilities are endless really.

So yeah.

GTiR T28 if you want bang for buck.

S14 facelift T28 for a nice streetable turbo with extra power.

S15 T28 for a bit of both the above reasons.

T3's Personally wouldnt touch

TD05 16g if ya want over 220kw with minimal lag but dont want to spend that of a ballbearing. (and they easy to rebuild)

GT28 or any of that series if ya rich and want a NEW turbo that will perform.

T25/28 if ya want a slight upgrade in power with minimal lag and bolt on.

Jesus, that took a good 1/2 hour!

Just thought Id add.

200kw @ wheels on a ca18det:

GTiR T28

Dump pipe

Exhaust 2.5inch+

Intercooler

Filter

BOV

Fuel pump

RB AFM

SR20de TB

Larger injectors. (GtiR 444cc ones will do but may be running high duty cycle) Evo3 510cc ones are better

Either remap the standard ECU, Run full aftermarket engine managment or run an APEXI SAFC or similar.. all are possiable of producing over 200kw@wheels on the Ca.

Another easy trick but not 100% necessary is to install Ca16de inlet cam. They are slightly rougher.. They only really do the same as a decent cam gear however.

With 200kw @ wheels I recomend a larger clutch.

That is all.

You only need to cahange the inlet cam, ca16 has a bit more lift and duration.

CA18DET... (4 port intake runners, No emmisions)Compression 8.5:1

In lift - 7.8mm

Ex lift - 8.5mm

In duration - 240

Ex duration - 248

In opens - 0 BTDC

In closes - 60 ABDC

Ex opens - 59 BBDC

Ex closes - 9 ATDC

CA16DE.... (8 port intake runners, no emissions)

Compression 10:1

In lift - 8.5mm

Ex lift - 8.5mm

In duration - 248

Ex duration - 248

In opens - 15 BTDC

In closes - 53 ABDC

Ex opens - 59 BBDC

Ex closes - 9 ATDC

anyone got a 200kw ca18det dyno chart?

would be keen to compare it next to a 200kw 4g63 chart

would assume the ca18 is a bit steeper/later in its power

Will all depend on what turbo ya use on the Ca really. But yeah. The Ca does rev more.

Nah the standard turbs wont make it to 200kw. The T28 off the prefacelift s14 silvia would get it close. Prob wouldnt net 200 tho.

Itd be a more revy engine, which IMO is better/more fun in a smaller car.

The 4g63 has more potential from a standadr engine point of view. Can make 250kw on standard turbo.

nah 4g63 evo/vr4 ,motor

goes in all sweet and everything couple of little probs to suss

only reason i was humming and harring was gbox :lol:

anyways im a big believer in sticking with a new motor in an older car from the same manufacturer

o and u ford boys can have them tho cos you guys have nothing to choose from hahahaha :lol:

Yuh the gbox is the problem with the RWD 4g63 or 92. Mates got one in a corolla and the thing keeps blowing the sigma boxes to peices.

We do have an engine to choose. YB cossie. Bolts straight in and with normal mods poo's on most the 2l engines around. Pity they cost soo much to buy+maintain.