Mongol's 910 Bluebird

pies

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so stripped the engine bloack today and cleaned everything , was oiling the bores for storage when i noted the bore feeling weird .

oh fuck

P1020744.jpg

got a bit confused cos im sure most of the pistons were sweet ...wrong

P1020749.jpg

bit gutted because this motor has been apart recently and had a new set of bearings htrown at it by the looks .. pistons are originalnissan items so they were not changed . i think the bore hasnt been dealt to yet so might look at that , or find another block

all the bearings have had somthing go through them probably bits of the pistonring land

inlet cam jounral wernt that great either ..poor motor .

evertyhing else is there and ok though

just a little update mainly for my sake

priced up a rebore and its was fuckall so i was gonna get it done , but no de pistons are avalible in oversize and on a second thought i dont even know how well this motor will work .

so i am going to get a ca18de shortblock and grab the pistons out of that and depending on wether de blocks have the oil squirter holes drilled or not ill will be either using de bloack or buying another det motor (gaz??) and then do a ring and bearing change throw it together get it running and see how it goes . if i like it then:

conrods

forged 9.5:1 pistons

and an impressive anti knock system haha

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

so took 910 for a wof today and it failed on a few things , nothing major really but none the less stuff .

the biggest one was the rust hole in the left hand rear sill where the car has taken a knock at some point and someone has tried to repair it but hasnt quite gotten there.

so i decided the i was going to fix it properly .. soo seeings as i had a parts car out back i did this :

P1020772.jpg

P1020773.jpg

i cut the whole fucked section out

P1020774.jpg

i then cut a section out of the donor car. note that there is no reinforcing in this sill . nice thing to remember if anyone is going to do up a sedan and has a hardtop lying around .

P1020778.jpg

P1020776.jpg

P1020777.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

right so after deciding the i do in fact want to make it to the trackday for a burn i had to pull finger .

my list was: .

get warrent

new tyres for streetfins

fit seedies coilover struts

double up the rear swaybar

exhaust cam inlet side

sidepipe

finish off sill repair .

so i started with putting tyres on the fins 185/55/14 gt radial champiros nothing flash but i have shit alignment and did not want to wear out a set of very expensive tyres instantly .

they were fitted , look alight .

i then fitted seedies coilover struts to the front and attempted to fit the r32 struts to rear too , just to see how they sat ... they sat low ...very very fucking low

P1020786.jpg

P1020787.jpg

P1020788.jpg

P1020789.jpg

so as you can see that was NOT going to work at all , so i took out the 32 struts and put the old ones back in , the height diff is 50mm more at the rear , which i can live with till i can sort somthing else out.

i then had a go at doubleing up the rear swaybar , from what i have read the rear swaybar seems to be more important then the front in terms of handling on rwd cars , so i doubled it up and just stuck with that (because the front was way harder and i run out of motovation) .P1020792.jpg

P1020793.jpg

P1020794.jpg

its not ideal how it is atm and i will improve on it. i was going to today when a more pressing matter came up (rear further on) .

right so with that all done i turned my attention to the exhaust cam. piece of piss , goes in with one tooth advanced. (exhaust cam is 248 duration with 8.5 lift .) . i did this and put it all back together . started it .. idles sweet , cool ill go for a drive . go halfway down the road .. hrmm there are some massive flatspots all over the place "i think i may have fucked up here . oh well ill fix it tomorrow" . got to taita roundabout and nailed it ... hit about 7k ... BANG no lost all power and 4 lanes of road behind me turned white nearly instantly ... OH FUCK

i know exactly what that is .

got towed back to w/s and pulled head off expecting a blown headgasket and a bent valve ... i was wrong .

P1020801.jpg

P1020803.jpg

P1020805.jpg

P1020804.jpg

P1020806.jpg

with 4 days till this thing i ment to get to nats and only 3 to get the warrent (28 days are up) .

was still calm . pulled motor out dropped sump , pulled out number 1 piston and conrod and here it is i then grabbed a conrod out of the ca18det and swapped it over kept the bearing and piston etc.

P1020808.jpg

i then gave the friendly staff at repco a buzz and they got a headgasket sorted , choice .. here on tuesday . .. wait wut ??. your shitting me . fuck

so i cleaned everything up (wasnt going to) and got all the gunk out of the sump , head and block glad i did cos by jesus there was alot .

P1020811.jpg

P1020813.jpg

i then set it up all neatly on the bench ready for reassembly .

P1020812.jpg

sand blasted my rockers covers cos they were ugly and may aswell now .

P1020815.jpg

P1020816.jpg

choice .. the race is on .

place you bets naow

oh and sidepipe .. not sure if im gonna run it as im pretty sure ill breach 95db

P1020817.jpg

• Thanks 1

well after plastigauging the bigends i found number one had squished (prob due to the whole hydraulicing thing) .

soo ordered new big end and mian bearings , and new piston rings .

they are here tomorrow so i go ino cleaning evertyhing and honing the bore which is a very good shape tbh , no lip or anything! . stoked . there was a little mark in the #1 cylinder at the top so i have a sneaking suspicion that the headgasket had a leak before it let go . so i gotta measure the head tomorrow aswell .

so here we go pics

this was number 4 main ... arnt i glad i took this apart!

P1020818.jpg

the block honed out

P1020819.jpg

P1020821.jpg

this one looks really course but isnt

P1020820.jpg

and pistons and gridle etc .

P1020822.jpg

• Thanks 1

well got all the parts today so i started putting everything back together etc , plasitgauging the big ends and mains , measuring ring clearance and crank end float etc .

finished short bloack fit head on slammed cams in and blah blah

P1020825.jpg

P1020824.jpg

P1020823.jpg

P1020828.jpg

P1020826.jpg

P1020830.jpg

P1020832.jpg

back i the car and all was going well , turned it over without plugs in to get oil around the engine

P1020833.jpg

then put plugs in and started it up .. running funny but sweet it runs yay .

then filled with coolant and it loacked up when i went to start it ... uh oh fuck

P1020834.jpg

#1 cylinder again .... *sigh*

• Sad 2

• 10 months later...

well went to taupo for the trackday and here is how it went .

DSC00526.jpg

P1010640.jpg

P1010401a.jpg

P1010540a.jpg

went really , really well , the double swaybar made a huge difference and the exhaust cams effects were felt aswell .

it blew a heater hose off on the first laps and split one other coolant hose during the day but that was it really , so im pretty stoked with it.

it needs stiffer rear springs as it understeers quite badly but i might be going the coilover route so that will fix that problem if i do.

a lineup shot of a couple cars .

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

well long time no update , cars been sitting around the back of work for about 3 months so i finally got the motovation to do shit , so here we go

P1030165.jpg

wanted to fit the s13 gearbox but i would need to move the motor 30mm forward and this causes all sorts of headaches that i cant be fucked fixing atm , so i fitted the s12 box back in should be sweet as im not running 200kw or anything.

brought a dropping resistor for it that had been modified with other resistors and solder , this pretty much made the resistor useless so i got one off a honda and fitted it

P1030167.jpg

looked at the old de loom and decided that it just wasnt going to do so i spent a millions hours reading wiring diagrams and some net guides and hooked up a few relays for ignition and ecu power.

P1030172.jpg

when fitting the engine mounts i found that the turbo wanted to be part of it so i cut a bit out of it , looks a bit rugged atm but i will be taking it out and strengthening and making it look nicer.

P1030166.jpg

P1030171.jpg

got the intercooler where i want it to sit ill get some 90deg bend welded onto the ends it will go through a couple holes ill cut on the rad mount , i might actually find a alloy radiator thats a bit smaller lengthwise to make it easier to fit the piping in + the top rad hose is on a gay angle and in the way of everything now the battery has been moved .

P1030168.jpg

P1030169.jpg

P1030170.jpg

and last but not least a little vid clip , this is pretty much how it run when i first kicked it over super stoked at how its runs

th_IMG_0018.jpg

• Thanks 1

currently looking at alloy radiators online , anyone had any experiance with these and can recommend anything?? , if i remember right its 360x500x60ish . i found one for a xy falcon that looks like it will be the business but its 42mm thick , will this suffice? i will be running a bigblock electric fan and shroud .

also been looking at clutches for it (not chaning current one till it shits itself)

priced up a couple exedy units and currently pricing up some extreme ones . anyone have thoughts on these?

many thanks ! cant wait to drive this best turbo whistle is awesome

• 3 weeks later...

well today i decided to do a bit more work on the 910, cam to the conclusion that i will keep the standard radiaot for now so went about making the cooler fit , got most of the way there after cutting a couple sections of the rad support panel and the radiator brackets . then went to find some silicone bends , #1 nowhere on sunday had ones i wanted and #2 wtf $50 for one freaking joiner are you serious!!! .

so might get some rubber hose ones for now seeings as its not running hooge boost and heat .

went for drive with a stright crossover pipe hooked up , went bloody well but i think it wants a cooler and the det sensor hooked up. currently running 11psi , dunno its that really accurate tbh will see when everything else is hooked up .

so yay!

here a small / huge vid

th_IMG_0019.jpg

well finally remembered to take camera to work so i can post update with pic yay!.

Anyhow i removed some of the radiator support to make way for the intercooler pipes , after doing it i decided i probably should have checked if i can actually do that. Oh well haha

P1030199.jpg

P1030198.jpg

intercooler was all ready to go in and get mounts made for it but i had no $ for silicone hoses this pay so next pay it will be then! .

Made up section of exhaust from dump pipe to rest of exhaust tacked it all together then took off and welded , i should know better then to do that by now as is pulled a fraction and one end wont seal :evil: . was also hoping the restriction in the exhaust would bring the boost down a touch , it hasnt ...at all .

P1030196.jpg

P1030197.jpg

and last but not least took it for a drive from lower hutt to upper hutt to check out how it went on road , boosted onto motorway then it started backfiring and dieing untill i had to pull over to have a looksie . turn out i had not plugged one of the body looms back in , it just happened that siad loom was connected to altenator .. derp. after that it was happy as a pig in shit sooo stoked .

And last but not least pic of my sweet as crossoverpipe thats just awesome

P1030200.jpg

turbo induction noise is soo loud inside the cabin and there is masses of compressor surge due to me not running a BOV . but meh .

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

well on sunday i decided i was going to wire in det sensor and time it up etc , got det sensor and went onto timing the thing long story short it run like a bag of shit and i was puzzled but had a sneaking suspiscion the crank pulley was telling lies (was modified) . switched it for the de one and heeellllooo the timing marks were miles out!! so timed it up again and doddled off home went to stop in at supermarket on the way there and it had a hiccup at roundabout then 50 meters up road pretty much died , shat myself popped bonnet and faceplamed i had forgotten to tighten cam angle sensor back up and it had retarded itself then unscrewed the bolts until it was about to jump into the fan DOH! sorted that and pottered home .

P1030201.jpg

P1030202.jpg

on monday driving to work i decide to give it a bootful onto the foreshore , revs went through the roof but the speedo didnt move .. ARGH!!!! more broken shit! , so today i bit the bullet and got a clutch that should last as long as a need it i also sussed all the joiners i wanted needed to order some so they should be here tomorrow , while looking at clutch i though ' it would be a shame to have this nice clutch on a old heavy flywheel .. so priced up a new flywheel and chucked it on the work acc , xtreme chormemoly item. couldnt find any reviews of them on the net but they seem ok will se when it shows up i guess. so hopefully by weekend out i should have new clutch, flywheel and intercooler piped in , gonna visit a local steel place to grab some tube to make a mount for it .

then i might go visit ga and remind him as to why he shouldnt have sold it :twisted: .

P1030205.jpg

soo while at repco sorting joiners i saw some bc coilovers on display and though after i pay for flywheel i might get a set of them . now im not sure what kit ill get or such but what i do need to know is how do people go about figuring what kilo springs they need ? .

links to tech articles on items would be awesome as! .

cheers guys!!!

oh and after coilovers the streets will prob end up at elite wheels getting the rash and curbage taken out was well as a polish because tbh i really cbf doing that ever again