Mongol's 910 Bluebird

pies

so, in an effort to raise it up a little so i could get it out of the lock up, i decided to put standard, un cut A31 cef springs in. these springs were longer than the cut honda springs and seemed alot harder... i was wrong. it dropped the car another 2 inches. tried to drive it, but the tyres were sitting on the inner gaurds, the sway bar was dragging on the ground, and the fuel tank was hitting stones.

i think we have found the limit to how long you can get a bluebird without cutting and re-welding shit lol

oh... and this suspension is all captive too. ie, you jack it up... and you CANT wobble the springs!!!!

appologies for the crappy cell phone pics...

560A0767.jpg

560A0766.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so tonight,

took to the car with a gas torch...

and got the damn timing gear off :D Big mega huge ups to Seedy Al for his handy dandy oxy acccetalene torch of d00m. oxy = win

started ripping the seal out but its well and truly (as to be expected) melted in there now. so taking front cover off. Left the car with the sump plug out draining oil so as not to make too much mess when the sump comes off. so give it a few more nights and it should be back in one peice (fingers crossed!)

Also started putting the interior back together. vacumed the floor and chucked the drivers seat + drivers side trim in. looks purdy now hehe!

no pics yet cos i couldnt get work camera tonight. so maybe tomorrow :)

gay mini update...

poos engine out. engine bay is looking very empty. manifolds and shit will be swapped over and engine will hopefully be back in this week. yay. hope thi engin is good... or im gonna crack sum heads/buy another one

NEW ENGINE IS GOOD :D

[edit] i do beleive i jinxed myself about here...[/edit]

got the new engine in and wired. started it up. MINT! bit noisy from the cam/rocker/tappet area. Al mentioned he noticed the cams looked a bit worn befoe it all went in so im guessing its just that. nothing so mega big grumpy cams wont fix.

End of the day... This new motor is good. but something else has started playing up now. She idles well, for about a minute. then starts to die. We think it may be electrical, so battery is on charge and will get al to re-do some wiring tomorrow and see if that helps. in the mean time i've gotta find a new starter motor. cos the old 910 one is hitting the flywheel :?

so... weekend was gay. new engine is in worse condition than the last. run bearings ftl! got it 2 mins down the road, started knocking, decided to swing some O's cos i was pissed off, and it just seized. so gay. time for engine rebuild, no more buying shitty 2nd hand motors.

also... pics ftw...

2 bluebirds, an MS55, a 4agte starlet (far corner), and a suzuki offroader (bottom right... the bonnet lol).

910-29.jpg

wide angle engine bay shot... oh how creative!

910-33.jpg

• 1 month later...

368728.JPG

FIVE! FIVE FUCKED CA18'S!!!!! Muahahahahaha!

well this one is fixable. the guy i got it off said that it was running when it came out of the car. but as alan was taking un-necasary bits off he discovered what looked to be a small leak between the head and the block, and a bit of headgasket muff sticking out. So just to be sure, the headgasket is getting relplaced before the engine goes in.

anyways... i got pics. gay pics.

this one looked alot better at the time, but camera phone = ftl

560A0889.jpg

also... someone (grotty) tagged my car while it was at the lockup...

560A0892.jpg

there were more lovely pictures and writings, but it was too dark to get pics of them lol

meh... CA18DE's suck balls. shoulda just done headgasket on the twin spark lol ahwell

• 2 weeks later...

Well. A good day today. Scored me some front hubs and brakes off an s13. and 5x S13 15" wheels with good tyres :D

total $$ spent today.... $0!!

Now i just gotta find me some S13/14/15 front struts and i can begin that side of things.

Im happy :D

still no driving action going on yet. Head is at engineers getting broken studs removed.

• 2 weeks later...

another gay little upate.

S13 front hubs/brakes/struts now aquired. Test ft them today. gonna have to re-drill the top of the strut tower as the stud pattern is 20mm different between s13 and 910. anyone know if there are any issues with doin this?

also got gifted some gts-t brake discs so will upgrade to gts-t or 300zx 4 pots when i find some.

rear struts are now R33 items with low honda springs in em. nice n captive and look to be of a decent height too.

engine... block is in the engine bay now and drive shaft and gear box etc... are all in. waiting on intake manifold gasket to arrive before we put the head back together.

super.

• 3 weeks later...

update with marmite/pics

Past week has been rather productive. engine is back together and sitting in the engine bay complete. just need to fit the fan, radiator, exhaust and intake and we aree ready to start it hopefully!

Tonight i went to the lockup cos i was feeling creative. i painted a few bits (rocker covers, coil pack covers, cam gear cover, hands, intake, camera bag, shoes) so here are some pics.

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

now fuck off

• 1 month later...

got to work today , pulled old ca18de out

P1010091.jpg

steam cleaned engine bay and painted some shit

P1010093.jpg

and put new motor in

P1010094.jpg

2moro im going to sort out all the minor fiddly stuff , e.g heater pipes , why its idliong at 200rpm .... etc etc

then its on to giving it a good clean because its filthy

• Thanks 1

well today i started at 8am ... by having to turn over engine for 3 mins before it would start ...uh oh

got to work and decided to time it and compression test it

P1010123.jpg

timing was ok after fiddling and compression was 180 on all four

drove it outside to gave it a wash. Went to drive back into workshop .. nothing

checked fuel ..yup ..injection..yup ...spark (BIG BIG BIG yep a headache and a very sore pinky)

wtf is wrong ... went thrugh everything . Decided that i would swap over ecu's ..took loom clip off .. hello why is there water in there :| .. this could explain alot. SO i crc'd that shit and blew it out with air ... started after de flooding itself

drove back into workshop and cleaned it

P1010120.jpg

P1010119.jpg

P1010118.jpg

and began cutting the roof , but got tired after 30 seconds

P1010124.jpg

i also hooked the vacuum idling thing too (not the tvis type jigger)

P1010113.jpg

P1010115.jpg

P1010114.jpg

P1010117.jpg

and then i took a pic

P1010125.jpg

• Thanks 1

well took for a warrent today , failed on:

excessive noise

park brake imbalance

bumper (danergous fittings)

uhh cut springs ( i thought these were fuckin captive!!!)

thats it , not too bad , cant sort the brake imbalance cos the cylinder i fucked so have to buy new caliper :(

so did some work today on bb ..

wanted to replce waterpump asap so i could drive in and out of workshop and rev it and really ddnt want pump exploding due to failed bearings

took eveything apart and while removeing bottom cover i found a blakc munched up ring ...hrmm what could that be . anyhow i took waterpump off cleaned all surfaces and put 2nh hand one off other motor on (parts ftw!)

i then went to put timing belt back on and heeeelllooo , i found the reason why the engine is suqeling and whirring .. the idler bearing had no bearings left and was runing on muddy shit and metal .. awsome glad i found that out now and not when it went bang on the way to rotorua or somthing

chnaged that ... then looked at timing .. wtf man the imlet cam was out one tooth , thank fuck this isnt a interferance engine (well it could be but i couldnt get pistons to hit)

so anyhow fixed everything put back together and started ..miiint all done .

i also decided to giv ethe ecu diagnosis i go .. turns out i have a faulty temp sensor or wiring to it

and the det sensor is not hooked up (i knew this im just too lazy to lengthen wire to suit )

so those are gonna get sorted tomorrow before somthing goes wrong there

just changed caliper ... still have same prob , i found this out after pulling the caliper apart to make it was ok ,(2 hours of very frustrating work) ...then i put it on and it has the same fucking probelm ... i then proceeded to leave a few black marks out of the owkrshop and round back because im just sick of this i really fucking am i hate when there no explanation as to why somthing dosnt work it sucks

well fixed the caliper enough to pass the wof according to ole kevvie .

so allan the good boe slammed me some standy 910 springs which i promptly banged in along with the standard read srpings ... yuck man .. yuck

me jacking shit

P1010139.jpg

origianal and makita spring side by side

P1010137.jpg

the raped r33 strut (man wtf!!!)

P1010142.jpg

why you dont mig 5th wheel saddles with no protection

P1010147.jpg

filthy filthy pics

P1010151.jpg

P1010150.jpg

my diff

P1010149.jpg

• Thanks 1

well since there not been and update for a while...update time!!!!

i removed gearbox due to fear of having a shot release bearing , turns out i ddnt have one sooo i decided to make a shortshift for the beast now everything was out :

i drilled a whole a few mm up from the original item and then drilled the shift stick (easy huh) ...after sorting the binding isues due to drill being bit too much of the exact size i got it working ..here some pics for the boes

the bolt is through the new hole

P1010174.jpg

to give you and idea of how much it has been shortened

P1010175.jpg

in first

P1010176.jpg

and in second

P1010177.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1