Mongol's 910 Bluebird

pies

well today i wired up the temp gauge so it works (yay!) and also managed to wire up tacho after trying 3 diff ways of doing it i just took main earth for all coils , extended it to cabin and into tacho , so coils now ground out through tacho haha . works so im happy

its still got a bloody miss which is pissing me off but there are more important things to fix at the mo ..its getting so close to being back on road

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

so after the nats and much thrashing , also slammer telling me it was blowing black smoke everywhere i gave it a look over and tuneup type thing ...first thing plugs and black ..and furry .. furry ..jesus must be running rich . nxt idle wont work properly .. so i pulled all the vacuum idle bullshit off i can be fucked dealing with it anymore etc .

then i pulled off intake and cleaned airfilter ..found dust all through intake so that means the filter sucks ..ok cant change at this time so i just sprayed crc over the element .

i then looks at the airflow meter .. one of the wire was covered in shit .. well that wont help anything will it .. so i cleaned that and replaced i also cleaned throttlebody while i was at it *twas filthy and sticking at idle position) .

after all this i adjusted reisitor on airflow meter a tad and took for a blat .. plugs are already changing colour YUS! .

on all the rattle i managed to get through thrashing the car .. number one exhuast .. well lucky i looked cos its was about to fall off at the headers rofl .

and yuh thats what i did today

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

soo havent had a write up in ages so thought id give the thread a bit of an update .

first off . replced old speakers with new items. kept them hidden under the old covers though :)

second today i got sick of the vibration i have that im positive is coming from the gerbox area

out comes engine ( its FAR easier to take whole lot out due to clearnace issues at the firewall-gbox-engine junction)

P1010569.jpg

next off took one look at the engine loom and went fuck , needs to be tidied up

P1010570.jpg

all taped up , sexy

P1010573.jpg

empty engine bay (note the airhorns bitches)

P1010571.jpg

and split the g-box and engine to check for anything suspicious (loose clutch springs etc) to no avail

P1010572.jpg

found nothing , small posibility of sandwhich plate ratlling but i highly doubt that

i did however find a small bolt that had fallen down i between a bracket on the engine , this could be a possible cause for mass rattling

so gonna do more 2moz like tidy up engine bay loom/s

steam clean it cos there oil from when breather fell of every fuckung where

and im gonna give my best shot at hooking heating up (if you saw the clearances you'd understand why it not done yet)

chur chur :)

• Thanks 1

soo today i tidied up the loom in the engine bay a bit more and fixed some shit that was broken , removed the petrol vapour canistor thing and steam cleaned bay .

i also hooked up the heater pipes , took like 2 hours to get everything right , fuck there is NO room under there to do anything . but stoked they are hooked up now

ruined exhuast manifold gaskets so have them + flange gaskets on order now

was gonna start it back up today but i was too tired and pissed off to do so

k so its all back together now have replced a few gaskets , blocked a few waterlines and just tidied stuff up .

i also hooked up the heater and guess what...IT FUCKING WORKS!!!!

i slao have these pics

P1010579.jpg

P1010580.jpg

P1010578.jpg

• Thanks 1

another update *no pics sorry*

was flushing cooling system on friday and while it was doing its thing i cleaned interior . started vacuuming passengers footwell when lo and behold ... drip...drip....drip....

...fuck

so i took a look and sure enough it was coming out of the heating box ... which is crap beacuse you can pull the fan box and evapourator box out piss easy , but the heater box is right behind everything.

so i took whole dash apart which took 1.5 hours .. the whole dash there was a bare firewall staring at me when i was done.

Anyhow got heater box out and pulled the core out.. crack at one of the ends where it joins onto plastic end tanks.

so disassembled part of the core cleaned up area and silver soldered the crack back up .. neato i then slammed it all back together checked for leaks and thank god there were none

finished flushing cooling system .. which btw is now running on tec coolant *propolyene glycol*

also fixed airleak for airhorns

• 6 months later...

k well its been sitting out back gathering rust so a week ago i decided to do somthing about that due to it being summer and such .

soo i got new steering rack boot , new set o cheap arse tyres ling longs :twisted: and a set of kingies for it .. now that was a fucking mission but managed to get put onto and onto it guy called clint from kapiti bnt , what a fucking legend he was

kdfl-32 for the fronts and kdrl-11 for the rears only raised the front up about 15mm and the ride is a hell of alot more pleasent then the cutties

xmas do came up so i decided to do a skid ... and got a diff clunk going on , well heres what happned (ive never seen it happen before)

P1010833.jpg

P1010834.jpg

the spider rod thig elongated the holes and then one dropped out completly .. woah oops

so being the mechanic i am i decided to throw a mig in there and get everything back together till i get another diff

i expect t to last all of 3 minutes before it chenobyls itself but if it gets me to the old man today for xmas ill be stoked

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

update time , went for warrent check and failed on a seatbelt , tierods , uncaptive springs and locked differential

made springs carptive by mean of washers.

new seat belt

new tierods

then set out to find another r160 diff .. to no avail

anyhow , gave jason at niscars a ring and he reckon he had one out back somewhere , so i went down and had a look . wasnt a r160 but i kept my mouth shut and grabbed it.

got it back to the workshop and it was a r180 viscous lsd out of a attessa bluebird fucking stoked!

splines fitted in no problems and set about taking buttons out of the r160 spidergears to put into the r180 when i realised that bacuse it was an lsd eveything is alot tighter not allowing the buttons to fit in (the buttons hold the halfshafts in by means to a bolt and later models have a clip holding it in)

so i ended up rangi'ing somthing up to keep them in till i can get my splines grooved for the circlip .

bolted striaght into the bluebird easily . nonly prob i ran into was pinion flange being different , so changed that and viola the 910 now had a lsd r180 diff ... saw all the room there and i might give a r200 a go when i find a longnose sucker :):) stoked as .

also found out that those types of diff have the ratio stamped on the crownwheel for easy refrence , hows that for convieniant

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

well ths now has current wof and rego now , pretty stoked about it all just about wasted the guy that did the warrent on it. but then took it somwhere else.

picked up cv hlafshafts from u12 bluebird and they are now sitting waiting to have somthing done with them (no pics sorry)

did some shit with the loom , mainly finding all the wire and shit that wernt doing what they were ment to , fuck loom is soo dodgy all these ensor wire crossing and shit dodgy as .

but car is now legal yay!!! so can drive round etc now

• 5 months later...

long time no update, have replaceed the front swaybar bushes with nolathane items as the old ones were rooted

P1020066.jpg

P1020067.jpg

then while carring out a prewof inspection i found the rear wheel bearings to be fucked , so changed them for new items .

also noticed that the exhaust was leaking and seeings as the majority of the length was now 2 1/4" i decided to biff the old section that went through the subframe and halfshafts etc , and make a new one .

and whilst at chase getting the required section of pipe (combo sections rules my face) . i decided to flange the exhaust so i can easily remove parts of it .

P1020058.jpg

P1020060.jpg

P1020061.jpg

i prefer to gas weld exhaust sections mainly because i reckon it looks way tidier

P1020062.jpg

the whole exhaust bolted together

P1020069.jpg

new section vs old section:

P1020071.jpg

mount plates that i cleaned and painted

P1020073.jpg

after welding all the flanges i threw it back onto car and started bolting up .. hrmmm somthings not right here

P1020075.jpg

P1020077.jpg

F$%K PIECE OF F&*KING S*&T

flanges must have moved at some point , oh well at least its easy to unbolt and redo

P1020076.jpg

my header bottle :lol:

P1020064.jpg

this is an r180vlsd

P1020068.jpg

so gotta fix the clearance issues of the zorst then im going to rebush the whole car (after new tyres for front) . then some 15" rims with lower profile tyres because the ride is quite firm apart from the sidewall sway

also comment etc most welcome , starting to lose interest and shit (fuckign winter)

discussion thread

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

so here is what i put in the 910 today :)

P1020492.jpg

P1020493.jpg

P1020494.jpg

P1020496.jpg

adn for lols while the rear subframe was unbolted from the diff

P1020495.jpg

thankyou and goodnight

oh i had to modifiy the rear mount rearwards 1 inch , bigger hole for studs and also them being further apart ..

i am well stoked , currently looking itno clutchpack units and then a cv conversion then the ill be happy with the final drive .

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

more rim pics , need tp post htem up so i feell better about spending untold amounts fo time getting them shiny , i really dislike sanding shit now .

P1020717.jpg

P1020719.jpg

P1020720.jpg

one more left to do now but needs to be repaired first , then its up to pickapart to get some different sized tyres to check for fitment looking at 185/55's but not keen to psend excessive amounts of $$ on such things till i know they will fit nicely

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

take that ca18det fiends!!!! ... yes that is a 4port ca :twisted:

P1020732.jpg

oh hello oil cooler :twisted:

P1020733.jpg

P1020734.jpg

P1020731.jpg

dont get too excited ... i got home and realised that the lower manifold was missing ...offered the guy $50 to find it because i really need it as the 8 port wont fit .

plans ... well tbh i dont want to use this motor for my plans because im aiming for response not massive hp .

however plans for the motor im building are:

ca18det .

ca18de pistons

exahust cam on inlet side (so some adjustable cams gears)

a gt2860rs (disco potato) with .64 a/r turbine housing .

standard ecu remapped

bosch 044 external fuel pump (prob wont need it but yea)

some form of upgraded in tank pump .

gtr injectors .

z32 afm

sr20de throttle body

thats it for now im aiming for pickup to start at 2.5 -3 g and carry on to redline aiming for a lowly 240hp atfw . and getting that should take about 12-14 psi , which is easy .

i am also going to go for a 8 port head and manifold to keep the low torque , mainly because i want it to be a 'fun' car so looking for responce as opposed to outright power .

but as we all know shit changes etc.

thanks you for looking

• Thanks 1