Brake Upgrade for 1st Generation Lancer?

lancer misfit

Gidday.

I'm looking to upgrade the front brakes in my '76 lancer and was wondering if anyone knew of an obvious, hopefully 'bolt in' solution (e.g, EX lancer, Cordia, Celeste brakes?)

Does anyone know if any of these will just bolt on? cos I don't really have a clue.

Also very keen on sourcing a 4G32 chain drive shortblock, any advice on where to find one would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

moleste gsr perhaps?

possibly the problem you'll come up againt is spring diameter, when using starion bits or whatever. otherwise almost anyhting, strutwise, will no odubt go in, from what I gather from talking with caboonatlarge (he's got an LA whih he's putting some fairly hefty brakes into, from some rare as 2000ex or somehting - is having to get the spring seats changed to enable the use of smaller diameter springs)

yours is an 'lb' I assume (rectangular tail lights)

chuck some pics up mang.

I have a Celeste. They have the exact same brake/strut set up as yours essentially, strut towers may be narrower. I used turbo Sigma struts and brakes. All I've had to do aside from new rubbers, is change basically everything that connects to the lower arm. Yóu'll also need the top spring retainer. Just make sure you ask for everything with them when you get them.

Caboonatlarge on here has done a good upgrade, pm him

^ he's getting his struts modified this week. essentially the same as sigma turbs/starion bits but less neg. camber I'm pretty sure. spring diamter was the only thing to hold him up from chucking them on. chur

costs fuck al to change the spring seats, adn he's using standard tops, which in effect, are the same as gen 1 mirage.

are celeste gsr front brakes any better?

True, Cheers Fellas. (It's the first generation, 'L' shaped tail lights by the way).

So Celeste GSR or Sigma Turbo brakes then?

This may sound blasphemous, but I was hoping to keep my existing struts and hopefully even rotors. Are there any slightly better calipers that will bolt on? If not, Caliper and rotor setup?

It's just one of my calipers is seized and I was hoping I could replace them with a more effective pair.

i think that all the GSR brakes off the EX lancer and maybe thge starin would bolt to the struts you have i think, im not 100% sure tho....could try 1600EX lancer brakes perhaps as well.

Maybe GSR celeste ones too, i will look in my new little book of tricks and look at the specs etc and see what you could try, can hook you up wit GSR celeste brakes perhaps, CaM mite have a better chance at getting them tho.... :wink:

Did you ask bout that crossmember and diff i want mang? ?

all of them are single pot.

i dont know how much she would want for them, prob not much...why do you want to keep your colt struts?

I think that s13/14 silvia struts and brakes etc pretty much bolt in too, but this is on the back burner, will be looking into this later on if i can find a cheap or free set of struts and hubs to play wit.

bottem knuckle wit EX is the same as colt (three bolt), and the top hats etc are easy to change, i would still call any of the sigma/starion stuff a bolt in.

I recon, find some starion/sigma/GSR EX struts and brakes and get the seats changed, no worries.

I swapped vented turbo sigma brakes into my EX. First i tried putting the sigma knuckles onto the lancer bottom arms, and bolting in the entire strut (with lancer top-hats swapped on ofcourse). It all looked sweet... But the vented rotors are alot wider and scraped on the bottom arms when it was all bolted together. Swapping to the sigma bottom arms solves this problem, as they use a bolt on ball-joint. Unfortunatly, they are marginally longer, so it'll affect track and camber.

Lesson: Dont use the lancer bottom arms, use the sigma ones.

If you are talking ex's then the sigma bottom arm works with the sigma/starion strut, and the ex top hat however the bolt centres in the crossmember for the bottom arms is about 10mm narrower, thus you get stuck with 0 camber or possible even positive if you are really unlucky. This is the problem i am trying to overcome at the moment, i could swap to a sigma crossmember, but the motor is then pushed back by 15mm and will foul the firewall, also need to swap the steering box and drop links in order to clear the sigma crossmember. At this point i am thinking of going pick'a'parting for some longer ball joints that share the same shaft size in order to move the bottom arm joint outwards.

If anyone is interested i have a set of starion bottom legs, complete with new wheel bearings, freshly skimmed rotors, new brake pads and rekitted calipers. They will come without shocks however as i need these for what i want to do.. Offers

Thats very intersting, and worrying information... I was under the impression the GSL and Sigma crossmembers were identicle. Fucksake! This could definatly be interesting.

Possible to modify the sigma bottom arms at all? weld up the old balljoint holes and drill new ones 10mm out? Sounds a bit dodgey however, lots and lots of load there.

can use a sigma crossmember and all you gotta to is change the idler arm, thats what i did in my EX ages ago.

there is also a model before the model that has those bolt on balljoint knuckle things and the arms end up being alittle shorter.

Was also wondering if using adjustable camber plates on the top hats may get round the problam of the disc hitting.

ive just finished wit my GSR EX struts in the colt, tis badass.