Roll cages and prices

Gaz

Just a few questions on cages.

What is homologization and whats it cost?

Whats the number on my rollcage writen in white starting with NZ ....

How much are the black soft things that you put over the bar?

How to tell a good one from a bad one.

Cheers guys.

homogolization is pretty much a standard to say its safe to a certain degree i think , the pads thing can probably be bought from para rubber , nz etc is probably the homogolation number , good one is ...homogolized.... i could be wrong

Any idea how much the homolog.... costs?

Also Say the roll cage was put into a differant car is it still valid?

So the pad things arent one of those stupid expensive things then?

10_point_lg.gif

Or

10ptn.jpg

12ptn.jpg

14ptn.jpg

imo for dirft there is no point goin through to the front strut towers, as if you have a major accident you can then throw the whole car away as the impact is sent from the front sturts through out the entire cage, where as if you dont have you cage goin to the front struts the impact on them is not excagerated throught out the entire car, yes for some fforms of motor goin through to the front struts is fine but for drift i personally wouldnt imo

Some of those designs are not legal in NZ. I was talking to the guys at Performance Metalworks about roll-cages (as they had a Torana in the shop and were building one for that) and they let me in on a few things:

In NZ our laws say you can't have the car going back past into the boot. This is because if you get rear ended, the entire cage/chassis will be pushed foward, perhaps resulting in the loops being smacked into your head.

Same goes for the front unless you're going ultra hard out. Just becuase you have a cage dosen't make your car safer in a crash. If it's mounted in duious areas then a lot of cage and chassis pushing is likely.

But this is only what I've heard. Cage regulations are different all around the world, in Aussie everyone goes through the rear parcel tray - but we're not alowed too. When I getmy 1/2 cage done, I'm going back to the rear wheel arches or struts on each side, a loop over behind the seats, and a few more bars yet to come into the design. Hopefully one that I can use to mount harnesses without having to weld in harness plates (although if i'm going to the lenghts to get a cage, may aswell get these too!)

Sweet. Those pics are really good info. Where they from?

I kinda want a cage and kinda dont. I see it as almost pointless when running a street car that will onlt be on track less than once a year.