Mivec or Cyborg rwd conversion? Anyone done this yet!

Speedyrr

I'm weighing up what to do with one of my extra mitsi colts. There seems to be a lot of oldskool mitsi's getting various 2L transplants out there so I was thinking of going either mivec or cyborg 1600 from the early to mid 90's mirages.

Just want to get advice on this one if someone has tried this before or what opinions there are out there for this conversion pro's/con's etc...

Cheers.

how big is the engine bay - you could always go mivec 6g72.... 201kw standard (I think)

I mean, if you are converting from fwd to rwd, wont you have to go through the same hassles.

But then I'm not sure on the weight of the colts standard engine vs the v6 (alloy heads, ot sure about block, cast I think - fuel will tell you).

Anyway - I guess this really has nothing to do with your post as I havent done the conversion and have no idea how to do it.

i always thought the 6a12 mivec out of the FTO would be a great prospect for rwd, light (all alloy) highh revving and flat torque curve, would sound unreal too.

Onlky disadvantage to any of these motors (except the 6g72) is that none of them fit a rwd mitsi gearbox, you'd need to adapt them.

You should definiely do it though, go for a six if you do.

dont take what I am about to say as gospel...

I believe that the 6g72 in a pajero is mounted N-S and therefore you could use the running gear (before transfer case) from an early 90's pajero as a basis.

This might be a better bet than trying to mate a 2l mitsu engine with a random gearbox. However being 4wd the pajero gearbox ratios might be poo... but just put a long diff ratio on, its not like the v6 would struggle.

The other upside to the 6g72 is that the GTO used them (They may be mounted n-s too) but this means all the go-fast bits (turbo's etc) from a GTO can be bolted on. I imagine your colt would be rather fun with 300+ bhp

dont take what I am about to say as gospel...

I believe that the 6g72 in a pajero is mounted N-S and therefore you could use the running gear (before transfer case) from an early 90's pajero as a basis.

This might be a better bet than trying to mate a 2l mitsu engine with a random gearbox. However being 4wd the pajero gearbox ratios might be poo... but just put a long diff ratio on, its not like the v6 would struggle.

The other upside to the 6g72 is that the GTO used them, this means all the go-fast bits (turbo's etc) from a GTO can be bolted on. I imagine your colt would be rather fun with 300+ bhp

Hey thanks for the info guys.

Decisions... decisions, just had a look on trade me for the 6a12 option http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 858047.htm

Always considered going for a old v3000, preferably one of the old pursuit cop cars as a friend had one and apparently it went like snot. But a light 2L might be another good option, have to go find one to look at to see how compact it is. The colt 1.6L engine bay is rather small, about 100mm shorter in the front than a GTO engine bay, thats why I'm considering mivec to avoid having a turbo to take up extra space. Not so bad for a DOHC block but if I go to the V engines will start to run out of room fast.

But this would look nice in the old girl.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 054616.htm

Here's a few pics of what my GTO looks like for space with a sirius dash turbo motor in it, A 16L engine bay is almost identical except it will be 100mm less in the front.

gto21hg.th.jpg

gtoengine10kk.th.png

And this is a pic of the 16L engine bay with standard motor

colteng5wq.th.png

Also does anyone know the basic power/weight ratios for the different mivec engines/cars for the mirage, lancer, FTO etc...

I have an old v3000 (88) same model as the ex-cop but not quite the same specs...(i think they had a few mods) mine is for sale on trade me now.

What measurements do you want? (I'll take them for you)

The length of block and the width to the outer points of the v heads, as well as the widest points over the inlet/exhaust manifolds as well please.

This is what they look like with a v6 in them

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/s ... 2_full.jpg

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/s ... 1_full.jpg

Cheers for that v3k

Right...

Widest point from head to head about 550mm

Length (from furtherest pully to end of block) about 500 mm

Exhaust manifolds stick around 80-100 mm from heads

Induction system is about 300mm wide (sits inside length and width of V)

These measurements were done in a running car, so there was plenty of crap in the way, but they should be really close.

The GTO 6G72 is mounted east-west.

The early Cyborg turbo 1600cc motors are the 4G61, so will have same mounts as a 4G63. The 4G92 MIVEC motor in the later cyborgs don't have the same bell housing as the 4G6x series engine.

Cheers for that guys, more food for thought. Might have to look at a few different cars and at the wreckers to get some ideas on parts and sizes.

The fto engine idea is growing on me tho... :idea: like the sound of the lighter alloy engine, not so likely to throw the balance of car out unlike heavy blocks.

I think going to a 4g72 gto engine I'd run out of room to quick with turbo's/intercooler etc.. and the like, aren't they quite a heavy engine as well?

the v6 doesnt have to have the turbo's etc. If is pretty potent in its NA mives form (I think it is about 200 kw), but yes if you started throwing turbos and intercooling in then you would run out of room quickly.

I will say from experience though, the 6g72 I have in my V3000 wore out the valve guides pretty easily and I believe this engine has a habit of doing so, I imagine this could be prevented by throwing some money at the heads, valves etc. I think it would be wise to investigate this aspect if you chose to go down this path. No point having an engine you want to drive hard only to have it start crapping out.

Yeah... Whatever goes in this for the transplant will either be low k's, if I'm lucky, or there will have to be some work done to the engine before it goes in. I like reliability even at the cost of a little power. I've heard that about the 4g72's too. Know someone up this way that has played with them a bit so might go catch up with him for info as well. Never know he might have some parts lying around for donation...

Hell yeah, if I was gonna keep my Celeste, I'd be looking at a MIVEC transplant or the GTO transplant

I wouldn't bother with the likes of the 4G61T, sure it'd be different but kinfa pointless, when the 4G63 DOHC turbo is just as much work, well less actually, to put in, but offers so much more scope for "improvement"

go 2l turbo 4g63 with sigma box.

I've already got a sirius dash turbo engine with a sigma box in my GTO and want something different for the next transplant, that's why I'm looking at the mivecs. If I get one out of a FTO I'll have to play around with a few things to get it bolted in and fitting a trans on the back to suit rwd. But the power of these engines without turbo is good and they are light being mostly alloy.