The VIN mystery?

Guest redseven

Guest redseven

My colt has no vin stamp just a shitty piece of aluminium rivited on the engine bay with a vin on it, was there no vins on early cars stamped on the chassi?

Guest redseven

heres my dilema,

A Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is a unique 17 character number. VINs are used in New Zealand, Australia, Europe, the United States and other countries. They’re the main way vehicles are identified for administrative purposes.

All newly registered and re-registered vehicles must have a VIN as well as a registration plate. The VIN can be:

* stamped into the vehicle structure (often the firewall) during manufacture, or

* stamped on a metal plate and fixed onto the vehicle body, or

* etched onto the rear window of the vehicle.

taken from LTSA,

My car has a 11 digit number on the vin plate in the engine bay, now on the rear window there is a 17 digit number which of course is different WTF??

Guest redseven

I did a plate check with the VIR and my car does not have a vin entered just a chassis number. the vin on the rear window is off another car which I think is the real ID, so I think the chassis number has been swapped off another car, when I go for a wof will they catch on?

I don't see what the problem is. It's pretty common not to have a Vin. Neither of my cars do. Just riveted plates. I'm not sure when VINs were introduced but your plate has the Chassis number which is all that is really needed. Your rear screen would have been replaced from another car.

Guest redseven

As far as Im concerned the window was replaced, and the car never had a vin number.

I also found out that vins/chassis numbers have to be at least 6 digits long, and Wof mechanics never check firewalls just the plate.