TE gemini

Guest JK5

how much do you think it would cost to put a ca18det motor in to a gem for every thing done and what brakes and lsd should I use any info would be great

At least 10 grand just for the engine in and running.

Brakes= http://www.giant.net.au/users/wight/Option%202%20-%20Performance%20Disks.htm looking bout 700 there and thats only front brakes, or coudl go a cheaper way and get piazza front brakes- kinda hard to find these days tho.

Diff- zzr gemini lsd-you wont find one, or piazza turbo lsd, im still looking for one (theres one in christchurch) 300 ruffly.

A pretty expensive option in the end,there are plenty of cheaper options: like turboing the 1600 or droping in a rodeo 2ltr turbo/ super charged, or the rodeo 2.3 and 2.6 ltrs.

http://www.hotgemini.com/viewtopic.php?t=27513&highlight=ca18det

hope that helps a little,

def

How hard to put in and find the rodeo 2.3,2.6 motor in and do they cum out turbo and how well to they go. I have about 10k to spend

the 4ZE1 would be my pick. 2.6 lt 4 cyc EFI. You can either use the gem or a rodeo gearbox and they prety much drop onto the standard mounts.

For 10 grand I rekcon you could turbo that, but only if the $10gs were for the engine alone. And this is not talking things like forged pistons (although you can buy them off the shelf in Aussie :D)

I rekcon just work the 2.6 NA it'd go like a dream.

the 4ZE1 would be my pick. 2.6 lt 4 cyc EFI. You can either use the gem or a rodeo gearbox and they prety much drop onto the standard mounts.

For 10 grand I rekcon you could turbo that, but only if the $10gs were for the engine alone. And this is not talking things like forged pistons (although you can buy them off the shelf in Aussie :D)

I rekcon just work the 2.6 NA it'd go like a dream.

can't build a motor for 10g's???????? wat??? why not fordiges are under a grand..

not for a 4de1, over here they would have to be custom made, the rodeo engines wernt intended performance engines so theres not really an abundance of off the shelf cheap parts. cant even get em for a g200 or g161 over here, so it would be very expensive. Of course u could just run low boost, the engines are pretty strong, with lowish static comp.

Def'

No, I said you could build the motor for $10 grand, but if he only has $10gs to spend on the entire car, then it's not gonna happen.

Saying that, they are very good engines, I have heard of at least 3 pushing around 600hp with no hassles.

Apparantly 65kw, but they are good engines. I've heard of 12 second 1/4s NA.

2.3 4ZD1 = 81kw

2.6 4ZE1 - 88kw but EFI so much more potential, a good few hundy HPs is not to shabby from one.

4ze1 partial engine =

List 4270.17

Trade Wsle 3882.01

Head =

List 1747.26

Trade Wsle 1397.81

brand spankin' new :D

would need manifolds etc, but yeah, seems a cheap engine, shouldn't be hard to get a decent one, even if you needed to rebuild it or something........ rodeo's are everywhere in teh wrckers, i guess, as all utes etc are, it'd be fairly high k's though

Dunno if im right but isnt a gem engine bay basically the same as a vauxhall chevette?

If so then ca18det or sr20det would be a good conversion. I looked into a few conversions for my vauxhall.

Bedford 2l was the easiest but still old engine. I wanted new.

I looked into ca18det and had that basically priced up for 5g with about 50% work myself and 50% paid for. (gearbox tunnel, mounts, exhaust)

I decided on 13b-t at the end and did have half the stuff for that conversion when decided to move out. Still have some measurments for mounts etc if you are interested. (vauxhall tho)

The engine bays are similar I'm led to believe, jsut different engine mounts and stuff. If you look in a gemini the gearstick is quite far foward and in a Chevette they are in the normal place. I'm not sure if the trans tunnels are the same or not tho. They also might run different X-Members.

Would be happy to if i had the car still. Sold it when i moved to Welly. Will own another one day with a 13b-t setup and some tubs :)

Yeah the gearstick is in a funny place in those gems. Better engine tho i think.