Valve

Defcon

Got roudn to getting both the 1600 and 2ltr heads off, firstly wat should i check for in making sure the heads in good cond. Secondly the exhause valves have got a mud coloured past or looks almost like clay on them, wtf is this? there for a reason or something more synister?

Thanks,

def'

normally exhaust valves have a build up of carbon on them... the best way to keep this from happening to to run a cleaning agent through your system once in a while or use some water induction. In fact, you can run your engine at 2000rpm and gently trickle a bit of water down your carb and it will effectively steam clean your engine valves.

the reason why yours looks like clay is most probably due to additives like valvemaster. It turns carbon brown/yellow and has no negative

side-effects. Don't worry about it.

using the 1600 head jerm, yeah i know i should, but at the mo i cant really be bothered taking the head to bits- and re clearancing ect.... ill do all that when i sort out a cam for now, just wana make sure its all rite then bolt it on...

hrmm well by the looks of things u had alot of oil in the chambers there , but id just say too much additive and it might be olny on the exhuast because it might be the only vlavle that gets hot enough to do it??? , check your plugs they might have the same deposit on them , mine did and it was cos i used too much uppercylinder lube ...

Yeah the chambers are covered in oil, but im using a differnt block so it should be sweet,valve steams seals are all sweet in the head so that should be the ned of the oil in the chambers.

plugs.....covered in oil and carbon, yum yum!

yeah it's always the exhaust valve that gets thick deposits and gets that coloured shit from additives. Nothing overly wrong with that aye. Plugs sound like it was running a bit rich... better rich than lean though!!

I may aswell just right an essay on head problems, new one for ya RT, ok maybe the valve stem seals are dead, while porting the head, i found oil in the intake ports..... in an OHC changing the stem seals pretty much means takign the head completly to bits....*begins to cry* and i dont have the slightest idea about clearance timing or any of the millions of fiddley bits surrounding the valves/cam...wel guess im about to learn... and splash out for a cam while im at it... ive been murdering the account lately,mrs will me none to happy i will be none to satisfied come friday nights.. booohoooo... any who

before i go ripping it all to bits and loosing everything, ill grab all your 2 cents.

Thanks,

def'

2cents on what exactly?

if your valve stem seals were fucked you'd be able to see them loose and worn when you remove the cam cover. The engine would be quite smokey as oil would be travelling into the combustion chamber and being burn't. This won't have anything to do with oil in your intake tract.

Likely cause of that is blow-by if you've still got the crankcase breather attached to the intake.

Time for a rebuilt my man. That's life, sure it costs a bit.. you'll have to learn to satisfy your mrs in otherways that arn't money related. :P:wink:

Thanks again man....Like i said, im illiterate when it comes to heads.. time for another picture i think. Blocks been rebuilt, but cause its a differnt head, the head hasnt been....Ahwell, guess ill have to get some quotes or just chuck the old 2ltr head on which is in good cond...

How much ruffly a head reco worth?

Thanks again,

"Def-dawg"

no idea! never paid anyone else to do it. ..

fitting new stem seals is a peice of piss. You buy a pack and slide em over the valves and aerodite (glue) em onto the head to stop them coming loose. Make sure you clean the contact area with thinners or alcohol and just a dollop of areodite will do no need to go bezerk.

You could strip the head and get it clemically cleaned and maybe get hardned valve seats inserted around $150 I think... a top-end kit comes with all the bits you need such as valve-stem seals. The cam seals are a bitch to fit so be careful, I use a flathead screw driver and try to be really careful not to split it. Then you've got to know how to assemble it all...

I dunno, if you arn't confident then just ring up somewhere as ask for a quote.

PS. since you're doing the haul might as well get some porting done while you're at it!! :wink:

Cheers mate, its safe to say i owe you a few beers! Been thinking about gettin a decent cam so i guess ill do a bit more reasrch on that and get the whole lot done! (as above the intake was still conected to the rocker so u mite be rite there) Ill take it down to a shop some where n see what they say.

def'

A little bit of oil in the intake is pretty normal. Concider that most people disconnect the breather from the intake and run a seperate catchcan setup. Thats what I do and there's always a bit of oil in there I have to empty out now and then. & my engines brand new!

If you were in chch or thereabouts I could sort you out with a mean 2L head aye.

btw you don't owe me anything bro information is what forums are all about! that, and calling lowlancer names. :D:P (kidding)

OI!

Hehe, all good

Right, once you've got it going sweet, can you hook me up with prices? Cos at this stage I'm gonna have to buy a shitter 4G63 and half rebuild it, which is where your experience will come in handy. Cheers defy my ass con man