Locking a dizzy

zep

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

rip all the guts out, all the weights and springs. And you'll find it slides back & foward on some slots. Buy some shit called metalweld from the hardware store. Comes in a tube, ..looks like a grey sherbert licorice stick..with the white in the middle??

well, cut a bit like 10mm when you mix that shit together between your fingers and put it between 2 bits of metal it's so fuckin strong.. hence the name metalweld..

Use that shit like putty and lock the dizzy slots. When it hardens there's now way it's coming loose. Trust me. The dizzy isn't under any load and it will hold it locked forever.

If it slides foward and back, which postition do I lock it in?

doesn't matter as you're gonna set up fresh with a programmable computer arn't you? I assume thats what you want to lock the dizzy for..?

blown4, its because if you have a boosted engine you want to maximise advance off boost and then retard it under boost. So when you're run an aftermarket computer you want to program it to do this as required.. so you can't have vacume control with springs and weights fucking up your computers control over the dizzy. :wink:

my advice is.... ditch the carb :D

ok, you don't want to, fine. Well, ideally you want your timing to be advance off boost and to retard when you're on boost. You can either get hold of a vacume retard/advance unit off a factory carby turbo car or something and adapt it...

or, you have to go for electronic ignition. Which means getting a electronic dizzy and buying an aftermarket unit to control it. It must be able to retard the timing on boost. Here's where you start buying bits to make a turbo and a carb be friends and the start down a never ending trail.

I don't know anything about your engine. What is is an isuzu or something? The Ford 2L pinto loves boost and loves advance timing so you can acutally just run a factory electronic setup and it's as good as you'll get for a boosted carb.

Or, you can just run the factory setup and retard it over the entire range. This will make it a slug off boost and will reduce the performance on boost, but if you compromise how much boost to run for how much ignition retard you might find some sort of happy medium...

& here lies the problem with turbo carbs, for all the effort you end up having to compromise performance for drivability. ie, you could run 3psi happily but 3psi just isn't worth the effort etc etc

Ok...

I think Burntrubber is trying to figure out a way to do electronic igntion to an Isuzu engine at the moment. I'll talk to him about that. Otherwise I guess I'll talk to this guy again about the boost retard diaphragm.

i betcha there is a jap engine out there that has a electronic dissy that will drop straight in leon have a ring around the importers and ask. like most of the imported 3/4 k toyotas all have elec dissys whereas nz versions dont. isuzu should have the same deal

The FWD RB gemini and Holden barina/Suzuki swift internals will fit with a bit of filling ect only major mod is machineing the lobes off the shaft to fit the sensor acuator thingy, have thought about Rodeos they had Izuzu G series engines and they might have a electronic dizzy that will swap straight over. Or piazza?