Nicks gtir(s)

nick_m

5 hours ago, sheepers said:

incoming old man sharn,

in about 1998 a mate of mine was working for urgent couriers in AK and for some fucked up reason that only coke filled courier company execs can answer urgent couriers bought a GTIR and gave it to my mate as his courier car.

it was branded and all that but he drove it all day every day.

it took me for quite a few rips in it and fuck me was that thing fast.

when your bench mark was a 4M powered shitbox the gtir was light years faster.

why did they think that was a good idea? fuck knows but it gave a bunch of mid 20s jokers a new understanding of what a turbo car was.

Fuck yeah how cool. Was there any pictures kicking around

Mate had a red one on white OZ rims, about 20 years ago.

Had all the go-fast bits, to the point where it was nicknamed "The Paralyser" because at least as a passenger, you couldn't do anything but sit in the passenger's seat with a grin that a belt sander couldn't take off when he'd launch the fuckin thing.

Fucked a gearbox trying to do helis like the cool kids in their Evos...

I can recall things getting decidedly breezy over 180-ish as the outside air would start to find its way through the door handle cutouts in the door-cards too.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Haha mint yeah I’m imagining it’ll feel all sorts of 90s car sketchy at speed. Especially cause they were never known to be great handlers haha. I love that everyone’s memories of them was they were fast as fuck. 

• Like 1

My brother had a GTI as his first car, must have been nearly 25 years ago.

He crashed it on the harbour bridge once

Another time he shot a rod out the block doing 180 on a back road

After that he replaced it with a 4WD turbo familia, he paid $6000 at the time. No idea if that was a lot of money or not back then. That was a fun car to ride in

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/04/2024 at 22:45, Alfashark said:

Mate had a red one on white OZ rims, about 20 years ago.

Had all the go-fast bits, to the point where it was nicknamed "The Paralyser" because at least as a passenger, you couldn't do anything but sit in the passenger's seat with a grin that a belt sander couldn't take off when he'd launch the fuckin thing.

Fucked a gearbox trying to do helis like the cool kids in their Evos...

I can recall things getting decidedly breezy over 180-ish as the outside air would start to find its way through the door handle cutouts in the door-cards too.

I had a one of those sentra gt cup cars as a road car when i was young fella, they had no 180kph speed limiter and I got the thing to do 195 down one of those long big hills on way back from akaroa. It was whiteknuckle stuff, sounded like the world was coming to an end. Only every did it the once. I expect this to be every bit as terrifying at pace too haha 

• Like 4