Honda SM-X VTEC SON!

cool car, hopefully you can rescue it!

that cylinder head is probably 1st gen B16a (the cam cover is anyway).. 

P30 - B16a

P72 - b18c black top (i don't think its one of those unless the inlet manifold has been modified to fit)

P73 - B18cr

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, mjrstar said:

P30 - B16a

P72 - b18c black top (i don't think its one of those unless the inlet manifold has been modified to fit)

P73 - B18cr

Yeah thats the ones! It runs and drives after replacing the fuel pump and plugs - I drove it to the current hoisting spot. So thats a positive. 

I've been given the above codes to cypher through and will hunt on the car in the next couple of days as it's not with me right now. Appreciate the heads up!

On 02/04/2024 at 11:05, mjrstar said:

P30 - B16a

P73 - B18cr

My lord this is a large rabbit hole to go down. 

So, the head says PR3-1. Date stamping says '95. Looks like the -1 denotes where the head was cast as there are PR3-1, -2, -3 and -4. I've spent 15 minutes reading the internet and I either definitely have a B16 head or it's an ITR head which supposedly was a factory ported head. Depending on where I read I definitely have the first one or definitely have the second. I'm a bit too smooth brain with Honda's to really know otherwise yet and searching through 14 year old forum posts gets tedious. 

I did find a picture of the cams that went into it.
 TypeRCams.jpeg.dbbec36268743f6b097e6d9eac967bf2.jpeg

This post has been open for another 25 minutes since I wrote the last bit and from what I can tell one of the main differences between B16 and ITR is dual valve springs on the exhaust side, which from another potato 00's photo (bare in mind I haven't ever been inside one of these engines) it seems to have. 

TypeR.jpeg.ba36c62a63ff4ebb4c955499e3b250aa.jpeg

At the end of the day it runs and is staying in there so I'm not sure it matters entirely but either way it's always nice to be sure of things when it's not a build you watched happen. Official summary is it's definitely not the head it came with from the factory and it makes the car nang hard. 

Anyway - time to finish sorting the wheels out so it can get back on it's own feet again and some basic maintenance can begin.

• Like 5

Cool little car, and awesome that it's been vtec converted, i bet it'll go like throwing a brick really hard. They rusted really badly in the UK, so hopefully yours isn't too much worse than what you have found.

Has anyone linked you to this yet? i found it when i was looking into the SMX myself https://www.motoroids.com/features/with-a-cabin-that-encouraged-love-making-the-honda-s-mx-wanted-you-to-see-the-letter-m-as-an-e/

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, kws said:

Cool little car, and awesome that it's been vtec converted, i bet it'll go like throwing a brick really hard. They rusted really badly in the UK, so hopefully yours isn't too much worse than what you have found.

Has anyone linked you to this yet? i found it when i was looking into the SMX myself https://www.motoroids.com/features/with-a-cabin-that-encouraged-love-making-the-honda-s-mx-wanted-you-to-see-the-letter-m-as-an-e/

Yes! I do enjoy the story behind them. A literal bone-zone mobile. The purpose built shaggin' wagon. I was looking at picking up an S-MX long before this came into my life as I'd always wanted a 4WD version but life decided to make me experience the 2WD VTEC version instead and I'm not complaining. 

3 hours ago, chris r said:

Here's some info to help id the cams https://www.ff-squad.com/tech/temp/VtecCams.htm

B16a and type r cams go good in the B20s

It'll go way harder if you can get it tuned, some accords (and us market integras) have a separate auto trans computer so you can get a tunable ecu (chipped if you want to call it that) 

Epic thank you! I've trawled through the S-MX owners group on FB to see the old owners posts and see if I can drum up any more info. Not a huge amount more but did find it's running a P72 ECU - had originally been running a chipped P28 but that wouldn't shift the auto box. I look forward to getting deeper into things soon.

• Like 2

On 02/04/2024 at 10:15, Mop Head said:

It was built by Lin Chen supposedly who used to be one of the dudes at Speed Factor down here.

I'm pretty sure Lin is still tuning in Mt Maunganui. His business is called CDM and he's the go to guy for lots of Honda owners.

• Thanks 1