Street tyres for 15x7.5 & 15x8.5

zep

Hey everyone,

I have this staggered setup. Currently I have Nankang AR-1 205/50s on the front and 245/40s on the rear. I am wondering what might be a good non-semi alternative to these that will keep a sidewall that is either mostly identical between the two widths, or slightly buttier in the rear. I'm struggling to find something decent that might work.

Any thoughts? Must pass the stringent cert laws :salute:

If you are looking for a pure road tyre, I'm a big fan of the Nankang N729s. I'm currently running 225/50/15s on 8J rims on the front of my 66 Mustang and 245/50/15s on the rear on the same width rims. Looks like they do a 205/50/15 too. If I had to do it again, I'd go 225/50/15s all around as I prefer the look of the slightly smaller side wall profile.

I have the same 225s on the rear of my Thames van.

I'm not crazy about the raised white lettering so I had them reverse fitted for a subtler look.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Flash said:

If you are looking for a pure road tyre, I'm a big fan of the Nankang N729s. I'm currently running 225/50/15s on 8J rims on the front of my 66 Mustang and 245/50/15s on the rear on the same width rims. Looks like they do a 205/50/15 too. If I had to do it again, I'd go 225/50/15s all around as I prefer the look of the slightly smaller side wall profile.

I have the same 225s on the rear of my Thames van.

I'm not crazy about the raised white lettering so I had them reverse fitted for a subtler look.

Question though - do you reckon they will handle power? Like 400hp/1000kg car?

There probably won't be a lot of selection in the wider 15 inch, I'd probably look at a falken rt615k if the do the sizes you need, I'm sure they'll do the 205 for the front, not sure on the rear..

Another option could be Maxxis vr1.

2 hours ago, zep said:

Question though - do you reckon they will handle power? Like 400hp/1000kg car?

I guess a lot depends on your driving style. If you are going to lay rubber all the time no tyre is going to last that long.

• Like 1

I'm running Nankang N729 235/60R15 on the Jag, which is barely on the right side of half the power and twice the weight of your Gemini. I was going to get them reverse-fitted to hide the raised white lettering if it said 'PRESTIGE' instead of 'RADIAL' - apparently this was the case for certain sizes of N729s at certain times.

For a standard classic car, I guess how a tyre handles power is irrelevant - the tyres will always age out before they wear out. In a classic which does low mileage and doesn't have stability control, it would seem to make sense to sacrifice treadwear / noise / efficiency etc for grip, but for whatever reason, that doesn't happen. Treadwear on my N729s is 400.

Yeah, it's looking like the N729 might be the only real options. I'm really only trying to achieve less width as the AR-1s are wider than their specs and I am in struggle street getting the rears on bumps with no rubbing:

20231112_153618.jpg.767a767219c2832f88ec1ca78e202e2f.jpg

I wonder if the CR-S is similar in width to the AR-1... quick google suggests they are wider again.

I've looked into machining down the wheel offset but there isn't enough meat, machining down the hubs but it's about the same, or pulling the guards, but I really want it to stay looking as stock as I can and I don't know how well that can be done.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mjrstar said:

What does it look like with a 225 45 15 on the rear? I have a pair of used AR1 in that size you are welcome to for free.

I do have a set of 225/45R15s, which is what I had before. I changed to the 245s because I didn't like the difference in sidewall stretch between the front and rear, which is maybe me being pedantic, but I'd prefer fatter on the rear than front!

Here's the 225s without the panhard rod properly adjusted, so I'm not sure how well this fits either:

20230715_171243.jpg.31a95e68bd90c2dc0547919ddf35f2ce.jpg

For reference, here are the 205/50R15s on 7.5" wide rims on the front:

20230716_144420.jpg.01ebc860c46b9aa67eb20df1f29c76b7.jpg

• Like 1