JRs MK2 Capri

JR

Not sure I would use the bell housing either...

Old-school autos have some Capris in their pile, not sure if mk1 and MK2 rad supports are different but I cant imagine by much. It looks like a simple bit of fab if you have one to copy off? 

Engines looking great! 

3 hours ago, HumberSS said:

Not sure I would use the bell housing either...

Old-school autos have some Capris in their pile, not sure if mk1 and MK2 rad supports are different but I cant imagine by much. It looks like a simple bit of fab if you have one to copy off? 

Engines looking great! 

Hmmm, shit that's a worry. To me the bellhousing looks fine. Sounds like you have had a bad experience with them? What happened?

Mk2 and 3 are the same but MK1 are a fair bit different. I might have to try and find someone locally with a MK2 or 3 and just try to copy theirs. Does anyone have one in Christchurch they wouldn't mind me making some cardboard templates of? A box of beers in it.

Cheers, yeah pretty happy with how the engine is looking.

Not much help but down Whitehall st I noticed a Capri under a tarp..

Street Viewed it for you, #3 

Friendly knock might be able to allow you some templates to be made

Also, Chris Leigh from Kiwi Auto died, however he retired from running the place Afaik, and his son Blair has been running it for a couple of years now. Maybe just shut down for Christmas/New Years?

• Like 1

On 27/12/2023 at 14:51, JR said:

Hmmm, shit that's a worry. To me the bellhousing looks fine. Sounds like you have had a bad experience with them? What happened?

Mk2 and 3 are the same but MK1 are a fair bit different. I might have to try and find someone locally with a MK2 or 3 and just try to copy theirs. Does anyone have one in Christchurch they wouldn't mind me making some cardboard templates of? A box of beers in it.

Cheers, yeah pretty happy with how the engine is looking.

Meant to say clutch... Woops

• 2 months later...

Did you do anything regarding upgrade to the valve springs? I had one with a cam and a little head work in it in my first stockcar and they were the built in rev limiter at around 7500rpm. You probably know this but pay attention to the oil pump drive.

They’re a great little motor apart from those two things

• Thanks 1

Cheers, yeah upgraded valve springs are in. 

When I was in my teens I cooked one of these engines not long after a rebuild. Oil pump drive had worn out, was a very expensive and time consuming lesson. I've replaced the drive on this one and bought a spare while I was at it haha.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Automotive upholstery is expensive. But for a really nice result @Lewishorrell at Tinwald canvas and upholstery does really good work. (They get stuff from all over NZ) 

I havent read the whole Discussion thread, but given you own a long dormant small ford, and youre in Christchurch you Must be part of the TT group? 

Those carbs are mighty sexy. Theyd look even sexier atop a belt driven inlet manifold. 

Oh true, I just had a look at his profile and it looks like he hasn't been on in a few years. That's a shame, I'd love to catch up with some locals who also have terrible taste in engines/cars.

• Like 1