Holdenman's Suzuki GSX550

holdenman

I took a chance on getting this thing running ok again, I have been advised the CDI is buggered and they seem to be Hens teeth 2nd hand so may need to look at after market enhanced units $$.

The one in it is an after market unit from an Auckland business ER&D that doesn't appear to be in business now. Apparently it will run but it was tested by a shop as having a faulty CDI unit.

I traded a parts bike for it and was told they are a good model with oft suspensionso looking forward to getting it going again. Maybe I can use it when I attempt the 1000km in a day ride when i decide to do it this summer

338722462_6090159937716657_6866945410457054232_n.jpg.8cbc9bfa2b177df353c67b7bf2fb1ad7.jpg

• Like 2

E R&D were in business at least up to a couple of years ago. AFAIK he was doing bike replacement TCI boxes ( NOT CDI) and car stuff on the side. then his biggest car customer - I heard Giltraps - told him he was moving in to their new place and working for them. He still did bike stuff on the side. I got a box off him a few years back.

The shop saying faulty box may be because it doesn't have a rev limiter. He did competition ignitions with no limiter. Try it and see.

If you do have to replace. Dyna 2000 is the way to go.

• Like 1

Smaller connector is your triggers down at the crank end. Larger plug is power in, signals out to coils and i think an earth.

You've obviously got access to a manual. Trace which wire goes where and ensure all connections are good and you have 12V where you should.

Bad plug leads and/or bad caps can give the same symptoms as a bad ignitor box. Time spent with a multi meter is never wasted.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, I will have a go - I investigated earlier and the plot thickens, i found a likely oriental special black box with no markings connected . I figured it has now gone to tomorrows project while I am concentrating on putting the cones on my waterbus. 

Ok, I got stumped almost at the first post on the exhaust cones and I will need to do some doctoring and welding to the baffles.

The box looks well soldered by someone who can solder well but the alterations are botched! For a start the bigger connection has four wires on the bike but only 3 in the box which have been shifted and vice versa on the other.

Can someone with some experience/knowledge know if the box is a generic aftermarket trigger and i wonder if i  can fix it ignition-blackbox-1-s.jpg.6ed11fbecc3ace77e685d3721bf14c11.jpgignition-blackbox-3-s.jpg.4ba46a1fc32a94773d51258a87674b37.jpgignition-blackbox-2-s.jpg.0b207d4e45084319b4729040661c847c.jpg

E R&D was bringing in generic boxes tweaking them and putting his own label on them. 

I see aliexpress is doing the familiar mistake of calling it a CDI. It isn't. It's a TCI - Transistor controlled ignition. Capacitor discharge is quite different.

Went out to the racebike & pulled the seat off to see what was on the ignition box label. Hyperpac is the last name E R&D traded under. There's an adress on line if you google it. Someone in Auckland might want to go and ask.....But Wayne has probably left the building. Not much good feeling on line now.

I had one run in with him years ago but got what seems to be a working box off him more recently.

10 minutes ago, GregT said:

E R&D was bringing in generic boxes tweaking them and putting his own label on them. 

I see aliexpress is doing the familiar mistake of calling it a CDI. It isn't. It's a TCI - Transistor controlled ignition. Capacitor discharge is quite different.

the E R & D is much heavier and sealed and was with some bits and pieces in a box while the ali special was hooked up to the bike erd1.thumb.JPG.b6fad577949b931f74975451af34cad0.JPG

34 minutes ago, Goat said:

My laverda had an ER&D. I emailed the dude and he was very helpful. I can pass on his email if you'd like.

God only knows what ignition is on it. Nothing E R&D produced should be compatible with OE Laverda ignitions.  Having said that, the 1200 racebike I built has Kawasaki 400 ignition grafted on and running total loss.

And if you got a civil response from Wayne - or any at all - you're definitely in the minority.

• Haha 2

On 15/06/2023 at 15:41, Goat said:

Haha, he seemed really helpful.

I'm not running that ignition system anyway. Was just for curiosity's sake. Turns out it was a modified Suzuki gsx unit.

Which you're welcome to have @holdenman if you think you'd use it.

I am interested but what was modified do you recall 

The wiring diagram i have is not the best, low res from a free download. Anyone have one or a high res copy?

i added a battery and i get normal lights but nothing when i try and start it so i will test the starter by hot wire to make sure its ok, taped the stand sensor up in case it was causing it.

22 hours ago, GregT said:

It's of an age where it may also have a clutch cutout too.

Thanks, I tried that and the brake just in case.  I was able to download an app that removed the security on the PDF and printed some pages but nowhere

I had my doubts about the starter as the cover was off but I hot wired it and turns over. 

I need someone with the skills to either fix my ignitor or build one for me, I will pay someone to get this going for me, ignitor/starter