HumberSS buys complicated Mercedes 4wds so you don't have to

HumberSS

So for a great many years I have harboured a dirty (not so) secret, kinda like knowing Justin Timberlake lyrics, or picking your nose and eating it. Cept Mercedes...

So about 20 years back I painted cars for a living, did 6 years in a shop in central wellington and of course there was a constant stream of mercs that came through the doors. What always impressed me was how they would often have 2-400+ kms on them and they were always fastidiously maintained. We ran a few 190e's as shop cars and they got the jandal day in day out. The boss was a drag racer so beating on the shop car was highly encouraged. 

Fast forward about 15 years and my dearly departed old man was looking for a replacement for his second Hilux surf. Didn't want to pay the stupid asking prices to go surf again and was a bit unimpressed with the capability, and high parts prices of them, so brought himself the venerable and highly underrated W163 Ml270cdi on a whim (yes believe it or not Toyota tax exceeds Merc tax). OM612 5 cylinder, common rail successor to the om605/6 format. Slapped some muds on it and started treating it with the usual disdain he did of every vehicle. He ran a rural services business, so it saw a lot of farm work. After 2 years it wasn't broken and had cracked 400km so he brought a v8 one for his missus and another diesel one for my brother who was working for him. Those ones also didn't break much. Usual boring shit like the odd ball joint, or dicky Merc electric window switch. But otherwise given death and shown little remorse. 

So I inherited the one my bro was driving and continued not to care for it. It really didn't mind. We ran a business cleaning water troughs for a bit and we never had to get towed out. 

Anyway, that one got a bit of blow by so I on sold. Brought a v8 one, hated the economy but loved the power and simplicity, and went back to another diesel one. I though it might be interesting for others o read the journey (and my most recent foray into the X164 Gl320cdi chassis). I've kind of got comfy with these silly Benz's, and there is now so manyinterweb wormholes and cunts fucking with them, there is not much that can't be solved. 

I'll give a bit of a run down on the W163 270cdi journey, then continue on with the recent/future GL tinkering. There is guaranteed to be things that crop up, but I ain't paying land cruiser money for something that imho is inferior in many respects (not all..).

Screenshot_20230603-202248_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230603-202206_Gallery.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CaMpylobacter said:

Shit yeah I've been looking at ml merc for ages. Hadn't had the opp/balls to push the button at this stage tho. Hmm

Cool man I'll go into a bit more depth over coming days. 

• Like 3

• 10 months later...
13 hours ago, 87creepin said:

I saw a lifted diesel ML on 31s for sale on the tard and thought it was one of yours! 

Think I saw that too, was it in South island? Have seen more and more modded ones popping up. Seen a few daily drivers around here getting suitably abused. Its tough being a trendsetter. 

Some dude in FB has put 37s on one. God knows why.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alfalfa said:

A+ I don't know how I missed this thread when you first posted it but keen to hear GL320 tales!

Oi, don't get distracted by mercs... Just go and hit buy now on that Jaaaaaag

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, anglia4 said:

Oi, don't get distracted by mercs... Just go and hit buy now on that Jaaaaaag

It's too late I already have several ML's saved to my watchlist you'd better hope @HumberSS has tales of woe for me :grin:

13 hours ago, alfalfa said:

It's too late I already have several ML's saved to my watchlist you'd better hope @HumberSS has tales of woe for me :grin:

There will always be tails of woe, you just have to push through. You looking at w164 or w163?

I'm looking for something diesel and somewhat cool to tow our old caravan that isn't a boring as fuck ford ranger :D.

My current daily is a 3.0R Legacy that has heaps of power to tow it but I'm not sure the suspension is loving it. Replacing it with a comfy, reliable daily and tow wagon is the dream. W164 ML could fit that criteria quite nicely...

20240329_135906.jpg.e545d0e6e02f2f83f1088cbb7d4c5858.jpg

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, alfalfa said:

I'm looking for something diesel and somewhat cool to tow our old caravan that isn't a boring as fuck ford ranger :D.

My current daily is a 3.0R Legacy that has heaps of power to tow it but I'm not sure the suspension is loving it. Replacing it with a comfy, reliable daily and tow wagon is the dream. W164 ML could fit that criteria quite nicely...

20240329_135906.jpg.e545d0e6e02f2f83f1088cbb7d4c5858.jpg

There are things to learn before you commit, I really should update this thread properly with the gl tales. I would say if you don't mind spannering your own vehicles (you are on os clearly...) they are really coming into quite good value for money territory compared to anything suitably capable/comparable. I think this is what scares people most about owning Mercs is they hear horror stories of repair bills. But that's from people who don't know which end of a hammer to use.. Cost of parts is pretty reasonable through rockauto. I've done more than I expected to due to buying a less than mint example, had I have been a bit more patient I would have brought better with probably a bit lower KMs (brought at 210, now around 232 in 9mths) Hasn't let me down. Is a very easy car to live with, plenty of grunt and good on juice.  

• Like 4

I live on a very loose shingle beach, all manner of 4x4s get stuck here all the time. We have a basher SWB V6 Escudo on 33x10s for beach duties, it does well but its a turd grubby thing and I want to replace it. W163 is pretty high up the list for replacements as I am a Benz foamer.

So, what are they like on the loose stuff? I worry about buying a 2 ton 4x4 and it not being usable here. I'd probably stick some 315/75R16 all terrains on the stock rims and lift as required for clearance. Doit? 

• Like 3

On 17/04/2024 at 11:48, BobbyBreeze said:

I live on a very loose shingle beach, all manner of 4x4s get stuck here all the time. We have a basher SWB V6 Escudo on 33x10s for beach duties, it does well but its a turd grubby thing and I want to replace it. W163 is pretty high up the list for replacements as I am a Benz foamer.

So, what are they like on the loose stuff? I worry about buying a 2 ton 4x4 and it not being usable here. I'd probably stick some 315/75R16 all terrains on the stock rims and lift as required for clearance. Doit? 

Yeah pretty good on the loose stuff. Like anything though, bad driving can get you in trouble. Are there any around your area you can take for a squirt to get a feel? You'll get those big tyres under it with torsion bar crank/index and spacers under the rear struts. I run 275/75r17 on mine at stick height no.issues of rubbing at full lock or anything. Have a look on YouTube, there are heaps of vids of them in all manner of terrain. There's also a FB group called modified w163 owners that has a lot of vids on it.

• Like 2