• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It turns out the crank sensor polarity was indeed the right way around, but, maybe the shielding could have been better? 
So I remade the wiring, and rerouted it away from the alternator. 
Still flames out the intake... hmmm. Everything was looking good on the trigger scope so it didnt make sense.

So maybe time to start checking for mechanical issues. 
I run a compression test, one bank is getting between 130-150psi... However the other bank was zero zero zero. 

first thought was that I must have bent some valves, or the valves arent seating correctly and need lapping in or something.
I pulled the rocker covers off, and found that all of the rockers underneath the intake cam on that side had fallen off...

439796664_934711608339782_259092384149569358_n.jpg.99be753c786c863354c8c825963c896d.jpg

Not 100% sure why yet.  It may relate to me doing a half arsed version of bleeding the lifters before installing them. As I only found out the proper way after I'd put it together.
You need to stick a needle down the hole until air stops coming out, while the lifter is soaked in oil.
So maybe it was the combination of starting a motor with no oil in the VVT pulleys, no oil in the lifters, and then the extra heavy valve springs making things whip around more than usual, and flicked things out. 
Not what I was expecting. I will triple check the cam timing next. If that's good, I'll see if I can manage to pop the lifters back in without removing too much stuff.

One thing that sucks about this motor is that the front timing cover can only come off, by undoing some bolts that are inside the sump. 
So hopefully that's not needed, but see how I go. 

In terms of removing everything to get the covers off, the motor passes the serviceability test for the most part. 
The only annoying thing was having to disconnect the clutch MC in order to have enough room to get that side's cover off.
I think once I've got a rear firewall in though, some tasks will be a bit harder. 

439998155_451205297414524_1128829754275277414_n.jpg.cd5f7d2e0d9bde3f95252105638e7b16.jpg

• Like 9