Hoods 1994 x/c Hilux "RDGR8R"

hood

First round of budget mods came into effect, with aftermarket rubbish Taiwanese front quarters, a 4x4 bumper and one piece glass doors off a single cab.

I later found an old boy who was a panel man in a passed life and got him to convert the stock tail lights for a set of 89-93 Cadillac Deville lights with another wellside I came across. Fast forward today I think I am on my 4th wellside, but more on that later

It was cool at the time, but in retrospect you soon learn that good things aren't cheap, and cheap things aren't good. The tail light conversion was a mess, the buckets/filler panels were gas welded in, and bondo'd up to the wazoo which eventually cracked out and could never be painted.

By then I purchased my first set of personalized plates when they were cheap new $500, but then that was a fair amount of coin to lay down. They were dubbed RDGR8A. This at the time appealed because when you say the word Road Grater it kind sounds like "Road grata" but later I regretted this and then tracked down RDGR8R approximately 15 years later second hand for the price of $650.

Also I brought my first set of wheels, a brand new x5 set of BA XR8 Falcons which were a perfect offset to eventually lay rail in and they were pretty cool from the factory. I've still got them and intend to use them as skid rims if needed.

bw.jpg

DSCN2992.JPG

• Like 3

^ Thanks brother, I appreciate the love

Wow, love the nostalgia. I vividly recall that day. In particular I used to roll the length of the southern motorway with the front in the air and the rear on the bumps. The dropshop did a nice job on that clip which I intend to keep in place.

Orginally in two minds to load this thread on here on Oldschool, but like I said theres been some clever work done to it in recent times thats certainly worth sharing, and since the old MTNZ forums are long gone I still miss the golden years of minitrucks in this country circa 2007 in my opinion.

Yeah its unfortunately collecting dust as we speak, but I'll get there with it.

FYI our friendly local certification expert used to be a minitruck enuthisist @cletusas we used to be in the same club too haha

• Like 9

21 hours ago, hood said:

^ Thanks brother, I appreciate the love

Wow, love the nostalgia. I vividly recall that day. In particular I used to roll the length of the southern motorway with the front in the air and the rear on the bumps. The dropshop did a nice job on that clip which I intend to keep in place.

Orginally in two minds to load this thread on here on Oldschool, but like I said theres been some clever work done to it in recent times thats certainly worth sharing, and since the old MTNZ forums are long gone I still miss the golden years of minitrucks in this country circa 2007 in my opinion.

Yeah its unfortunately collecting dust as we speak, but I'll get there with it.

FYI our friendly local certification expert used to be a minitruck enuthisist @cletusas we used to be in the same club too haha

Unfortunately I wasn't able to be involved at the peak of minitruckin in NZ. I just got the tail end. 

Load up the thread man, the more the better. I reckon everyone loves a good minitruck, just no one is wanting to out lay the cost to build one. 

I've always been keen to do a "where are they now" minitruck edition. 

• Like 7

On 18/02/2023 at 20:14, kp60nick said:

I've always been keen to do a "where are they now" minitruck edition. 

Theres been a couple big ones done on the Mtnz FB page. I did one years ago which was good, but I think with how shit the scene is these days it would be lame/depressing to do another. Half the trucks have been parted out, scrapped or traded so many times with no up-keep that they just look like shit now. 

I can count the die-hard 'traditional' minitruck enthusiasts and the amount of somewhat active builds on 2 hands. 

• 2 months later...

Over the years the truck received a few accolades, it received a feature in the local Rotorua Daily Post newspaper, a full page under construction feature in the US minitruckin magazine, and then a local NZ coffee table style publication "The Kiwi Ute Drivers Guide To Life"

2012-07-16_17-52-15_969.jpg

2012-07-16_20-50-07_700.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

• Like 5