fuel's Lancer Evo IX GT-A wagon

fuel

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided a gentle massage of the j pipe for starter clearance was the way to go when I put the IX turbo ony Evo. Plus a minor trim of the fan shroud.

It must be close to 20 years ago when I did the conversion but from memory the turbo coolant lines are kind of interchangeable but also required some persuasion. 

And of course the compressor intake pipe goes up a size too.

I think with the stock stamped/pressed steel j pipe you can get away with doing that but the meek pipes are cast aluminium. original oil and coolant lines were retained and do work with a little tweaking but I am adding IX specific coolant and oil feed lines to my next amayama order to have on hand for when the turbo is ever off again. They seem to start corroding fairly quick so want to swap them out at some stage. Didn't think about the compressor inlet pipe, the current one is specific to the auto trans cars as it has a little indent to clear the inhibitor switch, hopefully I can get away with continuing to use it until I go 6 speed when I will swap it out for the IX M/T specific pipe.

22 hours ago, LostInTransit said:

Any chance you'll be able to upgrade the front sway bar?

At this point probably not, I think replacing the front sway bar necessitates dropping the front subframe/steering rack and I wanted a stiffer rear to somewhat counteract the AWD tendency to understeer - having said that the Evo VII-IX chassis is supposedly well balanced already, though not sure of the effects of adding an extra 50kg/100lbs to the rear end would do to it. This guy doesn't seem to have any issues throwing it around the track though:

• Like 2

@mjrstar because I was worried my original pipe wouldn't fit the IX turbo I went and checked, and phew thank god it fits as if it's factory with no stretching. Maybe the inlet size difference is between Evo 4-6 & Evo 7-9 turbos? @ThePog if you ended up fitting the turbo to the DynaFari yet was there an inlet size difference between your old turbo and mine?

image.thumb.jpeg.939cdb825b6feada3d79bbfc01e406bb.jpeg

The inlet pipe is definitely auto specific, it has more of a 60-75deg bend to clear the transmission and a little dimple right by the AFM to clear the inhibitor switch. As the M/T box pipe is more 45deg I was worried I would be left without a pipe that wouldn't work with both the IX M/T turbo and A/T box.

image.thumb.jpeg.86ae33b9d9addfa90602a2d0c49ca062.jpeg

Another thing that is auto specific is the air filter box bracket as it mounts the filter box at a slightly different angle (no idea why) and this necessitated a different air filter box lid and snorkel specific to the A/T models. The different air box angle prevented me from using the Ralliart one piece CF airbox lid and snorkel, so swapped on a M/T bracket I had picked up while in NZ. M/T on the left A/T on the right. In hindsight I may have got away with just bending the original bracket a little.

image.thumb.jpeg.2070d04e5f08008b44a2f9a998d6f61e.jpeg

• Like 2

Good news about the intake, the turbos I have definitely are 2 1/4 and 2 1/2 neck. Did you happen to measure the old turbo inlet.. I'm interested, as this could be a suitable intermediate upgrade for my old airtrek turbo..

I vaguely recall an internal rubber sleeve/ ring thing which fits inside the intake to adapt the 2 different sizes, you fit it for the smaller turbo, or put it in the bin for the larger..

That carbon intake thingee looks suitably bling!

• 4 weeks later...

So in order to get this sorted I ended up buying a Meek Evo 9 J-pipe from Australia and also a stock Evo 9 J-pipe from across the border in Ohio and they were both shipped out on pretty much the same day. The Meek J-pipe arrived within 5 days whereas it took 12 days for the one to arrive from the US, and they both cost approx the same to send too - go figure.

Turbo out once again - can compare the two J-pipes which are similar but different enough

image.thumb.jpeg.5029df8ae7c4c2e75bd32b32c8ec3247.jpeg

No longer hits starter solenoid!

image.thumb.jpeg.c4972da77f334c213c4edf9e45d4652a.jpeg

And lines up great with the Mishimoto lower intercooler hose

image.thumb.jpeg.a1bd18eb2c8db7383df4bbeb9b48ef98.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So turns out the downpipe I had picked up is trash, it seems like it's about 10-20mm too short in the middle, the rubber mounts don't fit on like factory and it pulls the rear section of the exhaust forward to the point that one of the exhaust mounts rubs on a rear suspension arm... so either I modify this downpipe (turning a cheap item into an expensive cheap item) or find another downpipe (also probably not cheap). I am also thinking of running a 3" high flow cat converter as the rest of the exhaust system is 3" apart from the stock cat converter which is 2.5".

Anyway, until I figure out what to do with the exhaust I've turned my attention to trimming the Varis CF hood so the Ralliart carbon intake can fit, thankfully it's just a separate fibreglass plate that comes undone with 6 10mm bolts. I also repainted the mesh black because it had bits of chipped paint originally:

IMG_1749.thumb.jpg.04d0204d7382dea7bbed4b6e45c8954f.jpg

IMG_1748.thumb.jpg.2eb00d4d1ec70e9bf7a04130f5d60ee5.jpg

Hopefully that looks nice and subtle and not overly obvious I've taken a dremel cut-off wheel to the vent plate haha.

Now... cause I can't leave things be I decided to paint the vent plate silver to mimic the OEM vent colour as they have an aluminium vent plate, but I think the black mesh really hides a lot of the colour

image.thumb.jpeg.a6f1f612551732d6d8c819b8185c012b.jpeg

• Like 6