TRD F-Series IRS Diff install.

AA63-GTR

Hi guys, would be interested to know if anyone has set up a TRD F series IRS diff. Specifically the side bearing preload. I have an MX73 open diff head. It had two washers setting the bearing preload. 

The Trd instructions specify to use new side carrier bearings, with some small shims under them which according to part number crossovers, I have the correct ones installed  

Once I drop the head in, I can not get the second washer in the gap to set preload, it's too tight. 

Now i can easily grind down the tight shim to get it fitting, but is this normal to do?

Any help much appericiated. I have included a pic of the TRD instruction

20220521_133630.jpg

You should be able to dig up a manual for a Celica or something that shows detailed setup of the F series diff. From memory there are various sized shims to set the preload, you probably want the correct ones rather than grinding them. When I did a LSD swap to a Altezza torsen LSD the stock shims just worked close enough luckily.

Cheers guys. Yeah the bearings are all the way seated, looking at the instructions I have, I assumed that the standard shims would do the job. Would probably go in with the standard shims if I took the washers out under the bearings. But seems they are there for a reason.

21 hours ago, RUNAMUCK said:

Some diffs require a casing spreader to get the carrier back in.

What he said ^ Near any rear loaded Salisbury type differential needs to be spread to fit those preload shims in without damaging them. You'll need to use a spreader in conjunction with an accurate DTI and work to spec or you run the risk of stretching the housing and it'll never preload right afterwards. It'll be fucked.

• Like 1