Richard's YouTube challenge

rich1179

1 hour ago, Sambo said:

There's already a big improvement between the first and most recent video! You're clearly getting a bit more comfortable talking to the camera.

thanks mate, that or I'm just better at editing out the 1000 bad takes :D 

P.S. new video tonight sorry its another short one :(  

48 minutes ago, rich1179 said:

thanks mate, that or I'm just better at editing out the 1000 bad takes :D 

I've noticed recently that another channel I follow (Aussie Arvos) must edit out almost all of the ums, ahs, and pauses. The video is a little choppy as a result, but honestly I find it preferable over a video that's 2 minutes longer with zero additional content. 

Also, don't be worried about short videos I reckon. They're way easier to fit into the day. Watching 20+ minute videos means actually taking a fair bit of time to sit down and get through.

• Like 5

Shit yeah cut out all the ahhh's and ums. 

I also get rid of my heavy breathing which is actually just normal breathing but the helmet mic is right in front of my face. 

This video I did in December probably has the most cuts of any video I've ever done. Response was a majority of people not minding.  A few complained about it being choppy and changing too much. https://youtu.be/fa6LpN3ra74

Good on ya dude. Even when you can't be assed and feels like it's not worth it - there is an audience for literally anything and everything. Keep at it and that will grow. I've sunk tonnes of my own money and even more time into my channel. I got my first ever youtube money recently. 2 + years of effort, thousands spent and I got back $300. I was over the moon! Felt so good, and it's not the monetary value either that matters for me but it was more a sign of I've been doing the right thing and it's worth continuing. Hit 1000 subscribers half way through last year which enabled me to monetise my stuff. Took another 8 months and one semi successful video for money to appear. I honestly didn't even expect it to actually be real money but it was. Will probably take another years efforts to get another few hundred. But either way, it's all exponential. I got my second lot of 1000 subscribers in half the time it took to get the first lot. 

Good to see others out there giving it ago. Keep it up. 

Also nice shed. 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, MopedNZ said:

Shit yeah cut out all the ahhh's and ums. 

I also get rid of my heavy breathing which is actually just normal breathing but the helmet mic is right in front of my face. 

This video I did in December probably has the most cuts of any video I've ever done. Response was a majority of people not minding.  A few complained about it being choppy and changing too much. https://youtu.be/fa6LpN3ra74

Good on ya dude. Even when you can't be assed and feels like it's not worth it - there is an audience for literally anything and everything. Keep at it and that will grow. I've sunk tonnes of my own money and even more time into my channel. I got my first ever youtube money recently. 2 + years of effort, thousands spent and I got back $300. I was over the moon! Felt so good, and it's not the monetary value either that matters for me but it was more a sign of I've been doing the right thing and it's worth continuing. Hit 1000 subscribers half way through last year which enabled me to monetise my stuff. Took another 8 months and one semi successful video for money to appear. I honestly didn't even expect it to actually be real money but it was. Will probably take another years efforts to get another few hundred. But either way, it's all exponential. I got my second lot of 1000 subscribers in half the time it took to get the first lot. 

Good to see others out there giving it ago. Keep it up. 

Also nice shed. 

Thanks mate, honestly I would cut out all the ums and errs but personally I prefer some human feel too it. Also I realy need to invest in a wireless mic. Its definitely proving to be more popular than I expected haha especially as in person I'm quite a shy and quiet person who mumbles. Thanks for the support. 

• Like 2

+1 for wireless mic pls
Had to turn my speakers up while listening to the talking and it wreeeeeeecked my ears when the camera angle changed and noises were loud haha

Alternatively, you could just run some subtitles :D 
Enjoying the videos none the less, looking forward to seeing the progression in both the cars and your YT career.
Keen to see the following two videos if you're looking for ideas
- Full garage tour, showing all the bits and pieces
- Full garage clean up. This would be a very satisfying time lapse haha

29 minutes ago, kseries.rookie said:

+1 for wireless mic pls
Had to turn my speakers up while listening to the talking and it wreeeeeeecked my ears when the camera angle changed and noises were loud haha

Alternatively, you could just run some subtitles :D 
Enjoying the videos none the less, looking forward to seeing the progression in both the cars and your YT career.
Keen to see the following two videos if you're looking for ideas
- Full garage tour, showing all the bits and pieces
- Full garage clean up. This would be a very satisfying time lapse haha

Clean up maybe coming in September as having a change of lease. Full tour is hard with the amount of stuff in there haha and only myself being there to film it but I'll see what happens 

• Like 2

I'd say dont try release videos on a weekly basis just for the sake of it.
If you end up making low quality filler videos just to meet your schedule then people will tune out real quick.
Aim for meaningful content regardless of how long that might take between videos.

If you watch the likes of Project Binky for example, it's highly scripted even though it might seem like you've spent an hour watching them do not much.

People have infinitely small attention span now that there's essentially infinite content to consume.

If I watch a video that starts out interesting but then person starts waffling then I'm not gonna watch any others from that same person.
Good concise content and I'll go look at some others from same person and likely subscribe.

You only need to put in marginally more effort to make exponentially better content than people just live streaming their brains onto the internet.

Also a wireless lav mic helps infinitely to make video sound more professional and less echo-ey, especially on the shots where you're far from the camera.

Cheap for big improvement in audio, something like this 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000384471024.html?src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=494-037-6276&isdl=y&slnk=&plac=&mtctp=&albbt=Google_7_shopping&aff_platform=google&aff_short_key=UneMJZVf&&albagn=888888&isSmbAutoCall=false&needSmbHouyi=false&albcp=9444695485&albag=99457316601&trgt=296904914040&crea=en4000384471024&netw=u&device=c&albpg=296904914040&albpd=en4000384471024&gclid=Cj0KCQiAgomBBhDXARIsAFNyUqMIf4Bojayo7SZrpcGsCtjLse57mcdJYhhfCbG9sGgYIfemY8-66eEaAqCWEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Roman said:

I'd say dont try release videos on a weekly basis just for the sake of it.
If you end up making low quality filler videos just to meet your schedule then people will tune out real quick.
Aim for meaningful content regardless of how long that might take between videos.

If you watch the likes of Project Binky for example, it's highly scripted even though it might seem like you've spent an hour watching them do not much.

People have infinitely small attention span now that there's essentially infinite content to consume.

If I watch a video that starts out interesting but then person starts waffling then I'm not gonna watch any others from that same person.
Good concise content and I'll go look at some others from same person and likely subscribe.

You only need to put in marginally more effort to make exponentially better content than people just live streaming their brains onto the internet.

Also a wireless lav mic helps infinitely to make video sound more professional and less echo-ey, especially on the shots where you're far from the camera.

Cheap for big improvement in audio, something like this 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000384471024.html?src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=494-037-6276&isdl=y&slnk=&plac=&mtctp=&albbt=Google_7_shopping&aff_platform=google&aff_short_key=UneMJZVf&&albagn=888888&isSmbAutoCall=false&needSmbHouyi=false&albcp=9444695485&albag=99457316601&trgt=296904914040&crea=en4000384471024&netw=u&device=c&albpg=296904914040&albpd=en4000384471024&gclid=Cj0KCQiAgomBBhDXARIsAFNyUqMIf4Bojayo7SZrpcGsCtjLse57mcdJYhhfCbG9sGgYIfemY8-66eEaAqCWEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks mate. Kinda thought about it but the weekly schedule works for me in more of a motion to get up there and do stuff haha. I will look at mic after work today sadly my camera won't take an external mic so will have to borrow my gf one :D

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rich1179 said:

Thanks mate. Kinda thought about it but the weekly schedule works for me in more of a motion to get up there and do stuff haha. I will look at mic after work today sadly my camera won't take an external mic so will have to borrow my gf one :D

You can record audio onto your phone with an external mic and sync  it up in post later if need be.