G63B Head - Solid Lifters???

bonkas

Hey Guys,

I have a question for the mitsy guys among us:

Is there solid lifters available for a G63B?

I am getting some work done to make the thing rev but the hydraulic lifters will be my shortfall - any other heads that have solid lifters I can rob from that will work?

As above, any 4G62 or 4G63 from the 80s should have solid tappets - most of the hydraulic lash adjuster rocker arms have roller rockers though while the solid tappet will have just a solid follower. To be honest, given it's a SOHC engine, the ports and cam profile will probably prevent revs much more than the hydraulic lash adjusters ever would. Leave them in and enjoy not having to adjust tappets, along with slight power gain from roller rockers. Oh, if you switch to solid follower rocker arms, the roller rocker cam shaft wont be suitable.

• Like 1

I looked into it before I replaced the lifters on my old van, from the info I could find online you would need to change the whole head, the oil feeds are different sizes/in different places and the cams are different, don't think the solid tappet gear even bolts in place of the hydraulic set up.

Have you considered upgrading to a 2zz or Pinto at all?

Can anyone confirm the setup in a 4G61? Is this solid lifters?

May be able to use the Cam and Lifters out of one of these? I am changing the cam profile anyway so if I can make the original cam work with the solid lifters?

I pulled up these part numbers on the interwebs from a 4G61, people have done this conversion on a 6g64, not sure on the comparability on a g63b

Intake A MD023225 qty 2
Intake B MD040780 qty 2
Exhaust C MD023226 qty 2
Exhaust D MD040781 qty 2

Adjuster screw MD065628 qty 8
Locking Nut MD000961 qty 8

G63B = old naming system. 

4G63 = new naming system.

Given the G63B is the older of the two, it will most likely be a solid follower manual tappet head, typically with smaller ports. 4G63 SOHC 8V can come in the same style as the G63B, or it could have roller rockers and/or hydraulic lash adjusters. Problem is there is no other designation for which age/generation the 4G63 is.

As I said before - the hydraulic lash adjusters you have at the moment aren't going to limit your ability to rev any less so than the older SOHC drivetrain, smaller ports etc. The HLA's will be fine up 7500-8000rpms, and by then you would have out-flowed your ports and the valves will probably be bouncing. If you want revs, move to a DOHC head with big ports.

• Like 2

Ahh right, thanks for the explanation Fuel - I was on the understanding they were a bit different.

I am having porting work done, larger valves, stiffer springs so I guess I will leave the hydraulics in and see how it goes.

Yeah mid-way through the work already.

I know I could do better with a DOHC head but my idea is to work with what I have and see how it goes. I wanted to keep it simple with a simple distributor setup etc.

Also means I dont have to mess with anything else when it comes to bolting it in my car, will go straight in and keep original wiring, throttle cable etc.

I have another question on the side of this.. Let me know if this should go in another thread...

If the DOHC and SOHC heads are mostly interchangeable on the block, does that mean I can use a DOHC head gasket for my SOHC?

I am wanting to 1.5mm or larger oversize pistons but having trouble finding gaskets that will work...

There are differences in the water jackets on the timing belt side of the head, but the general consensus is that you can use the DOHC gasket on a SOHC head. Just make sure all water jackets are connected from block to head. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/21/2017 at 00:32, fuel said:

Oh, if you switch to solid follower rocker arms, the roller rocker cam shaft wont be suitable.

Yep I knew that going into this - Kelford are modifying my existing cam or building a custom cam with suitable billet.

I am still struggling to find adjustable/solid lifters - Had a lead on a set but only 5 or the 8 were there as 3 were broken.

Maybe someone has a head sitting in the shed with something that will work.

There used to be a guy on here who worked at a Zebra U Pick? Is he still around, he may have some suitable.

2 hours ago, bonkas said:

Yep I knew that going into this - Kelford are modifying my existing cam or building a custom cam with suitable billet.

I am still struggling to find adjustable/solid lifters - Had a lead on a set but only 5 or the 8 were there as 3 were broken.

Maybe someone has a head sitting in the shed with something that will work.

There used to be a guy on here who worked at a Zebra U Pick? Is he still around, he may have some suitable.

That would be me, havn't been there for 18months. I only have 1 complete head in my hoard and it is still on the motor, I may be getting another parts head in a couple of weeks