Townace van overheating

bathcollector

I bought a '92 Townace van cheap today. Due to some overheating issues the PO has replaced the head with a new 3y/4y head but has used the 4y headgasket and it has been overheating still since, although  not to the boiling stage. He was told after he should have used a 3y gasket but as it was his work van bought another and put this aside. As Seedy Al seems to be the resident BHG guy, maybe he can shed some light as to the 3y being different to the 4y ??

There could be differences in water galleries in the gaskets. 

But, I have a few other questions you may or may not have an answer to.

When head was replaced,  was the thermostat and water pump replaced, ?

But most importantly,  was the radiator checked and cleaned out by a radiator shop. The last one is very important. Just running a hose through the radiator archives a little bit of cleaning but not nearly the same as a rod out.

My money is on that the radiator was not cleaned when new head went on.

• Like 2

Also, If it was overheating, did the PO fix radiator etc? Or just fix the bhg.

My van radiator was blocked as hell. got it rodded and its happy as larry now (with a new head).

And Tory is bang on the nail, Make sure the head gasket lines up with the galleries on the head. The blocks should be sweet, but the heads will have an extra coolant passage or two. That some gaskets will block. I noticed this when i had the head off my van. My old gaskets and new gasket had these different holes.

Thanks guys. Water pump was replaced but by the look of the water, the radiator wasn't cleaned out, pretty crusty in there. In looking round the internets, the 3y/4y gasket matching head vs block seem to differ ? Will check with PO next week re rad and t/stat though. The rad cap looks a bit shite too so won't hurt to chuck a new one on.

• 3 weeks later...

IMG_1206.thumb.JPG.39c40a3ba53a503764a712d3523c9d5e.JPG@Seedy Al OK, radiator has been away and come back cleaned out, 30 % blocked so wasn't a big part of the problem. Have put a new waterpump (old/new water pump was leaking from the seal) and thermostat in. Also a new radiator cap to go on. Pulled the head today and no sign of a blown head gasket. Head is a new Kiwi cylinder head. I have a new Kiwi 3y head gasket that lines up well with the head water ports etc. The only thing I noticed when undoing the head bolts is they didn't seem to be uniformly tight which would have shown up with a mark on the gasket I would have thought ??? Any bright ideas out there ? bung temp sender ?? In having a look at the Kiwi cyl. heads gasket, there is a port missing at the front that there is corresponding holes in both block and head. Ol cobber Josh at Manawathree Toyota ( Mark was on Tinder in the dunny) sent me a pic of the genie Toyota piece and it is also missing the port in the gasket ???? Head pic shows the port upper left just below the headbolt hole.IMG_1205.thumb.JPG.bd372badfc9c82bcb9780002fd56b902.JPG

If the genuine gasket doesn't have it, then its no used.  Will find they either over engineered it in manufacturer and possibly to efficient.  But anyway,  that's fine. 

I don't really know what to tell you, but 30 percent is enough to cause an issue,  as is a leaking water pump, a thermostat,  or a fucked radiator cap. As you mentioned the head bolts,  if you happen to have a spare,  I would cut a slit up the side of one of them up the threads,  then use it to clear out any shit stuck in the threads in the block. Make sure you use oil or anti seize on the head bolt threads and under the heads. Cant remember if these use washers but if so make sure they are lubed also.

Based on everything you have done and it still has issues then yes could simply be a shitty temp gauge. In which try an aftermarket item and see how you go.

• Like 3

Just remember all bolts should feel the same going in. If you hear any squeaky noise or it suddenly turns easy when doing up you have issues with the bolts torquing on the threads.  I know you know all this Gary, just adding it in case other people reading this don't.

Right. Radiator rodgered, new waterpump, new thermostat, new radiator cap, new viscous fan hub, new headgasket on. Been for a drive and all seems good. Temp gauge at half mast after 1/2 hour drive. Have a bolt left over though ?? looks like a seat mount bolt to me but ???????????

• Like 3