Ae92 fxgt won't start - help needed

Lunacy

4 minutes ago, Seedy Al said:

have you done a compression test on this since head going back on?

Nope not since I had the head milled...machinist had to take 18 thouoff it to get it flat though. Maybe need to do another one? Would that stop the ether igniting though in the cylinder? With ether in all 4 cylinders or in Inlet manifold she still just constantly cranks but no sound of it being ignited

A bent head can be more than just, Oh, the head wont seal on the head gasket " sort of thing.

Can effect valve sealing etc

So I guess what i should have asked is, did the shop that machined the head also vac test the valves to make sure they are sealing?

Because if they arnt, then you will have no compression,

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Seedy Al said:

A bent head can be more than just, Oh, the head wont seal on the head gasket " sort of thing.

Can effect valve sealing etc

So I guess what i should have asked is, did the shop that machined the head also vac test the valves to make sure they are sealing?

Because if they arnt, then you will have no compression,

Just had a look and nope he didn't check the valves were sealing...hmm maybe time to rip the head off again...

I had a similar fault in an engine, all the cranking washed the bore, dropping compression to the point it then masked the fact I had fixed it 10 moves ago

That fault was an ignitor module, even though it sparked, it had no punch

+1 for compression test

• Like 1

Compression tester on the way...hopefully clear things up when it gets here next week. In the meantime if anyone has an igniter or ecu I could try out let me know please 

Guess if compression is way down then that may be the root cause...

Better start building up that bare block haha

9 hours ago, Lunacy said:

Nope not since I had the head milled...machinist had to take 18 thouoff it to get it flat though. Maybe need to do another one? Would that stop the ether igniting though in the cylinder? With ether in all 4 cylinders or in Inlet manifold she still just constantly cranks but no sound of it being ignited

you in Timaru , right ?

who machined it, who re-installed valves/ cams, who timed the engine

an answer to each of those, honestly, may get me generous enough to come and have a look. if  any of those 4 items are a cock-up, then a compression test may read zero PSI, or fuck all PSI

2 hours ago, smokin'joe said:

you in Timaru , right ?

who machined it, who re-installed valves/ cams, who timed the engine

an answer to each of those, honestly, may get me generous enough to come and have a look. if  any of those 4 items are a cock-up, then a compression test may read zero PSI, or fuck all PSI

Head was milled by place on King St Auto engineers I think it's called. 

Valves weren't pulled out when he did it.

I reinstalled cams buckets and shims, and timed everything up.

If you have the chance to check it out that'd be mint, I'm on a ship in the port and car is down near the cement dome.

Cheers

59 minutes ago, Seedy Al said:

Just out of curiosity,  when you pulled out all the buckets and shims, did you label them so they all went back in the original spot?

Laid them all out on the workbench so they went back in the right holes 

• Like 1