a_craw4d's shopping trolley go kart

a.craw4d

Wow that was a while ago.

I went to hook up the brakes and found the little adjuster thingy had gone south on the last joyride.

IMG_9932.thumb.jpeg.8180a441347a64079f0a7001bc4953f0.jpeg

I didn’t have any adjusters in my stash that fitted so chopped up an old mountain bike brake/gear shifter combo.

Now I had brakes it was time for more hooning.  At this point I’m still sporting a decent exhaust burn on my right hand from the last test runs.  
So I wedge my hand in hard against the choke/ throttle/ spark plug area and go for gold again, still kneeling in a similar pose to driving a dingy with an outboard.

So fun.

So fast.

So dodgy still.

Work mate watching from the roadside reckoned 60 clicks easy.
I was catching up on cars real quick and the brakes were only slightly better than the foot dragging on the road option.

By the time I pulled back into the workshop I’d cut my hand up fairly bad, blood down the side of the motor. And one knee was sore as fcuk and starting to swell up.

All in all a great time was had and received many roadside thumbs up.

Glad @xsinclairx wasn’t patrolling the area that day :) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So now I really needed a proper throttle setup.

Machined up a little cable clamp thingy that also connects to the throttle linkage (still running the governor).IMG_9928.thumb.jpeg.bd8c7b7af7476760bda7388b979909f6.jpeg

Added some extra springs so the throttle reliably returns to idle.

IMG_9929.thumb.jpeg.d5b4dc86a2e97c033071f829678b1172.jpeg

IMG_9931.thumb.jpeg.35679aeca1abf1ed31b38832d337b4aa.jpeg

And for the final (for now) touch I tightened up the brake cable.

A quick test up and down the street at home and everything’s working well.   It’s a luxury being able to sit in a seat and drive with 2 hands. Is a bit slower on the governor than previous tests but ok for now and I know it’s happy to rev a little more.

To do’s include:

-Fit a chain tensioner. Some dick didn’t machine slotted holes in the engine plate.

-Get a speedo app to clock this thing.

-And tighten up the governor spring.

Concerns are:

-The axil isn’t going to last long.

-And neither are the brakes.

But those are future me problems.

Will chuck some average videos up soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Tried this.

IMG_0159.thumb.jpeg.4aaace4dcb61369108b9b696e188670e.jpeg

Hate to admit it but it was terrible. Surprising amount of grip until there’s none at all. And being rear heavy I could hold very little drift angle before it spun very quickly.

Did eventually add a chain tensioner as the chain was super slack.

IMG_0244.thumb.jpeg.73672d3081dda72173be2d6484a6f66e.jpeg

Drove this a few blocks away to show a mate, got chased by a dog on the way. Dog was bigger and faster and wanted a piece of me. Luckily (for me) it got a little too close to the rear wheel and got clipped, tumbled and gave up the chase. Scariest moment so far on this thing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Did a run around the block with a speedo app.

IMG_0245.thumb.png.f5ae2470795cfeccdca62f1f5d261e86.png

Time to tighten up the governor a bit. Can’t be holding up traffic.

edit.  I tried to take a terrible one handed video of a ride in this. But it’s, well, terrible. As I need 2 hands to drive. Might upload it anyway.

• Like 2

My old kart has the motor mounted on a hinged plate, with a bolt on the non hinged end. The bolt was tightened down to raise the motor plate, and tension the chain. 

Also, delete the governor. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Terrible video as promised.

Filmed with my left hand, left hand also on brake duty’s so terrible braking as well.

I also drove this to a local supplier to pick up stuff.  There’s a video floating around somewhere of me high siding it, almost getting thrown out then crashing into their shop wall.  
Was fcuking hilarious.   We then loaded it up with bearings and housings and hooned back to work.  Got many thumbs up and a couple photos snapped while waiting in traffic at the train crossing.  It’s such a hoot to drive.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 14/04/2024 at 21:01, RUNAMUCK said:

Also, delete the governor. 

Am in 2 minds of doing this.

Many conflicting opinions about the motor’s longevity after governor delete.  As it is with the governor, anyone can jump in and give it heaps with no fear on my part of it going pop.  I can tighten the spring to increase revs / speed and still keep it within its limits while at the same time I still get wide open throttle up to that limit.

Also bear in mind this has been an almost free build so far. Purchases to date include the chain, sprocket, brake and throttle cables.

• Like 2