Trailer steel sizing

chris r

Flatdeck or sided?

50x50 rhs for the frame, 70x50 rhs for the drawbar imo.

Maybe 70x50rhs on the two outside lengths if Flatdeck because the spring mounts would be under them.

imo, I tend to over-engineer stuff

• Like 1

Happy for you to come look ah mine. It's built buy a guy that builds them in his shed and.sells them un-registered. They are Ll.slightly different as he uses what is.avaliable at the time I have seen quite a few around.  

I got mine of my neighbour when he shut his painting business down. He estimates its done over 100,000km with no issues to speak of. 

Tows very well stable 

• Like 1

Still working that out tbh. I have a big 200L fish/chilly bin so  Ifigured that on one end and a bench/sink on a side/end and enough space for tents,wheels, tools etc.

I was thinking about a battery and possibly water tanks if I go really stupid. 

Our friends have a poptop caravan thing and its not that practical, all the bad points of a tent and none of the convenience of a caravan. And we can pack up the tent way quicker

Edit: possibly 2x3 mt or similar. not too big really

• Like 1

I have a 6'x4' garden trailer. perfect size for most jobs. wouldn't want any smaller!

I use it shitloads. amazing how much you may use a trailer once you have one sitting round at home. 

has angle iron frame/is pretty pooze tbh so I'll probably build a new one this winter if i have time. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Mr Vapour said:

Happy for you to come look ah mine. It's built buy a guy that builds them in his shed and.sells them un-registered. They are Ll.slightly different as he uses what is.avaliable at the time I have seen quite a few around.  

I got mine of my neighbour when he shut his painting business down. He estimates its done over 100,000km with no issues to speak of. 

Tows very well stable 

I'll have a squizz when I drop the stuff off

9 hours ago, Mof said:

That's what I would call a big-ish trailer

Remember your standard 8x4 trailer is 2.4x1.2m

I had no idea on garden trailer size tbh. Just making up figures 

33 minutes ago, JoKer said:

Ned's build thread had a good plan even if it was upside down yeah?

in fact yea scrolling down a bit 50x50x3mm was the specs with 5mm for axle

I remembered he built one but didn't look enough at the thread to get sizes etc I'll double check 

• Like 1

I have a really lightweight trailer. Whole thing is built from angle. Including the drawbar. It's getting an RHS drawbar upgrade in the near future. The angle one is bent from being dropped with some very heavy shit in it. (Concrete fence posts which were overhanging the front)