New school Mazda Q

yetchh

Could anyone tell me what the proper can timing marks are on a 2001 Mazda bj5 vvt? seem to get conflicting info of the net, from what I know I point I and E on the respective camshafts at each other at tdc correct? or is it one of the other three marks on the sprocket..

Pic for pics sake..

IMAG2818_zpst4xveyfi.jpg

Thanks for any info..

Nah its a bj (snigger) 1.6, bj5w.. it's already been moved so I don't have a datum.. 

Mate got a bhg and did the gasket himself but it won't start, sounds like it's to far advanced or 180 deg out.. but he didn't line the cams up with tdc etc he just marked the belt and cams and put it back together like that.. I I told him he needs to confirm the timing marks but the net gives me three different options for timing..

TDC is marked on the crank. I can't remember where but the key way will point straight up when it's lining up.

Both sprockets have E and I line up with the flat face of the head from memory. 

Inside or outside it doesn't matter.

I can't remember if the sprockets are interchangeable on these some of them have both E and I marked on  them. They line up with the locating dowels. Make sure the Exhaust cam is lined up to the E locator on the cam sprocket and vice versa for the intake.

if in doubt get it to rock on 4 to get you in the ball park. 

His pic is different mine tho, you can't actually see any marks on the other sprocket because of the vvt shit except for these indents on the sprocket edge..

Like this (those tags are all you can see on the inlet can)

0996b43f80207c99.gif

Or like this?

2012-12-03_065616_time.gif

Generally. When cams are at tdc the inlet and outlet cams on number 4 should be facing away from each other.

Anyway remind me tomorrow and will see what auto data has to say.

But if you can see the cam dowl on the non vvt gear is at the top, and the cam gear happens to have a mark that matches something, then use that mark as a reference to figure out where the vvt cam goes?

• Like 1

• Check free length of tensioner spring is 61,8 mm14. Replace if necessary.
  • Fit tensioner spring 14.

Note: Rubber sleeve on spring should point away from tensioner pulley.

• Ensure timing marks on camshaft sprockets aligned with cylinder head upper face 9 & 10.
  • Ensure crankshaft timing marks aligned 15.
  • Fit timing belt in following order:
    • Crankshaft sprocket.
    • Guide pulley.
    • Exhaust camshaft sprocket.
    • Inlet camshaft sprocket.
    • Tensioner pulley.
  • Ensure belt is taut between sprockets on non-tensioned side.

Note: Observe direction of rotation marks.

• Slacken tensioner bolt 13. Allow tensioner to operate.
  • Fit crankshaft pulley boss 12.
  • Fit crankshaft sprocket bolt 8.
  • Turn crankshaft slowly 1 5/6 turns clockwise until crankshaft sprocket mark aligned with tension setting mark 16.
  • Tighten tensioner bolt 13. Tightening torque: 38 - 51 Nm .
  • Turn crankshaft slowly 2 1/6 turns clockwise. Ensure crankshaft pulley boss locating pin at 12 o'clock position 11.
  • Ensure timing marks on camshaft sprockets aligned 9 & 10.
  • Apply a load of 10 kg to belt at dtd.png17. Belt should deflect 6,0 - 7,5 mm . If not: Repeat tensioning procedure.
  • Install components in reverse order of removal.
  • Tighten crankshaft bolt 8. Tightening torque: 157 - 166 Nm .
  • Tighten crankshaft bolts 1. Tightening torque: 12 - 17 Nm .
  • Fit crankshaft position (CKP) sensor. Ensure crankshaft position (CKP) sensor air gap is 0,5 - 1,5 mm .

I havnt read anything off that

Just that info is for a BJ chassis with a 1.6 (ZM  motor)

• Like 1