2y/3y/4y Engine similarities

ThePog

I have a 4wd townace ute with a 1.8 carby 2y engine. The engine is strong but the carb lets it down. We have fucked with it, the garage has fucked with it but it runs like a bag of shit, hard starting and a massive flat spot, plus it uses all the fuel..

A man on TM has a 3y injection setup, plus there are no doubt millions of 3y and 4y engines everywhere.

So what i want to know is will that 3y injection setup bolt onto the 2y, or am I better off sourcing a complete injected 4y and taking the punt it will bolt up.

Learn me.

Only thing thats different between Y series engines is slightly different port size on the heads AFAIK/mine is a 3y block and the head is stamped 4y so yeah shit is lego as.

Townace retrofit for injection should be easy since it was only the Townace/liteace series of vans that got an injected motor, although with yours being a ute things might be a lil bit tricky since theres the rear panel where as a van would have open space.

Iv just gotta make an extension adapter pipe for my van to get the T/B under the seat which for a man of your engineering caliber should be a walk in the park

• Like 1

To inject it you need loom ecu map sensor distributor thermostat housing thing with the filler cap on it as it has temp sensors for the ecu inlet manifold with injectors fuel rail/all bits etc(obviously) plus exhaust manifold because its likely your carby one is the same as mine and bolts to the carb because they run an EGR valve thing.

Gotta link to the gear on trademe?

• 2 years later...

The answer is to drop in an asian market 4Y. Straight in. Use a Weber carb from Oz and you can jet to suit. Weber comes with a Lynx air filter, fuel line, vacuum line and a wire for the electric choke. That's all.

2Y is 79 hp @ 5000 rpm  and 140 nm @3200 whereas 4Y is 95 hp @4400 and 182 nm @3000 Gear up with slightly taller profile tyres. I run 205x60x15x6.5 alloys from a Daihatsu suv.

More power and huge increase in torque at around same revs. Result it pulls hard everywhere and with the zero emission control junk sensible fuel economy is restored.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...