Robbo's AE101 Road Legal Racer

Robbo

Get some heat on that synchro hub then put your puller back on it. The heat will expand it away from the shaft a little.

And put it in the oven for a while to heat it up when you go to refit it. With a bit of luck it will just fall back on or it will just take a bit of a tap.

Also, note which way around it goes, it may not be the ssame on both sides

• Like 1

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the symptoms of an exhaust rubbing on something. Check that both centre hangars are still in place they have a habit of melting. Last ones I got were a bit slimmer from supercheap.

Other thing to check would be a cracked header or the primary to secondary flange. I always use 300degree silicone in healthy doses to seal up that flange. Needs doing every so often if you race it a bit. Also throws oxy sensor out a bit so will be running rich and popping and blowing flames a bit.

Stink bout the wiring loom. Thought we fixed all the damaged plugs!

Yea that'd make sense, I'll look into it. Last time I looked at the rubbers they were a bit melted but still in one piece.

Is there any way to check the exhaust for cracks other than just looking over it? Did notice one of the joints was leaking a bit when we were trying to diagnose the noise so will have to sort that.

All good, was a good excuse to buy a soldering iron and relearn how to solder hah

Might be worth considering archilles 123s for semi slicks. Really are only a good road tyre but prob fine for what you need. Generally around $180/tyre.

You just need something to do heaps of track kms on rather than something to be super competitive. Once you've gone through another set of tyres worth of events you will see more gain in going to a good semi slick.

Another alternative is the Dunlop dz2. It seems to be a good road tyre and is the control tyre for 2k cup so there's heaps around.

• Like 1

Might be worth considering archilles 123s for semi slicks. Really are only a good road tyre but prob fine for what you need. Generally around $180/tyre.

You just need something to do heaps of track kms on rather than something to be super competitive. Once you've gone through another set of tyres worth of events you will see more gain in going to a good semi slick.

Another alternative is the Dunlop dz2. It seems to be a good road tyre and is the control tyre for 2k cup so there's heaps around.

Just looking here http://www.adenstyres.co.nz/collections/competition-tyres/15 123S are $239 ea and only come in a 195 where as NT01s are $285 in a 205 so hardly seems worth going down to the Achilles? $180ea would be ideal!

Hmm. I think you need to find a friendly tyre person. Start with guys who are involved in motorsport. 

I've been getting 23545/18 123s tyres for my falcon daily for $180/tyre recently. I get looked after a bit but didn't think by much. 

Yeah I agree at that price the Archilles aren't really a deal at all!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Haven't had a lot of time for this thing lately, did the last weekend trackday of the year though and the car went pretty bloody well! No real issues other than the alternator belt needing tightening. Got put in a group with a bunch of GT86s so it was pretty good pacing against them, on the whole I seemed to be a fair bit quicker. Timed some laps with the Race Chrono app and quickest of the day was a 1.50.07 for the Grandprix Cicuit, don't have much to compare it to but seems respectable.

Tires still seem to have some life left in them, not road legal any more but haven't worn through the dots yet but grip definitely feels down from previous times probably just been heat cycled too much now.

Couple of laps from the day:

• Like 1

Nice smooth laps there good work!

If the inside edges look like they have less wear, those nittos are able to be flipped on the rim for the inner edge becomes the outer. They will probably have a more square lip which is wear your grip comes from essentially. might get another 2-3trackdays out of them as long as its not raining!

• Like 1

Nice smooth laps there good work!

If the inside edges look like they have less wear, those nittos are able to be flipped on the rim for the inner edge becomes the outer. They will probably have a more square lip which is wear your grip comes from essentially. might get another 2-3trackdays out of them as long as its not raining!

Cheers, got the hang of heel toe now so most of my corner entries are seem considerably smoother.

Ah interesting, will look into that!