Toyota A43D auto wiring......?

Seedy Al

Hey guys, I know this seems odd, but anyone had any fun wiring in a Toyota A43D Auto trans before?

Don't ask why, but currently am trying to fit one onto a car that used to be manual, so have nothing to start with.

Looking at the wiring vs gearbox. Left hand side has two wires, black for the overdrive, and pink for what I assume is the trans lock up solenoid?? Unless someone can correctly tell me what the flip the thing is at the very back of the trans on left hand side (will find a pic)

Assume that is the lock up solenoid, I'm a little confused on how it should be switch slashed what switches it, as there is no ecu control here.....

On the drivers side there is just the inhibitor switch, this has 4 wires, Black, white, pink and blue. Anyone have any idea what wires take care of what?

If I were to guess, I would assume there is a general earth wire, A wire for park signal, a Wire for Neutral, and one for reverse?

Cheers guys, any help would be lovely.

I did some googling because I was curious, and that seems to be a DL.

I found a diagram a of A43D and the piece in front with the 2 bolt flange is the O/D solenoid, and didn't have the rear piece.

Also used in Volvo 740s etc so there are a few diagrams around.

have been considering driving to the library and having a look

Funny thing is I must have covered at least some of this when I wired up the trans in the MS63 from Diddy

But that was so long ago, and I remember now that I failed to sus the reverse lights and wired in a micro switch working off the column change lol

Was actually thinking, maybe there is meant to be power at the Inhibtor switch and not an earth as I thought.......

hmmm........

Might need to put the fuse box back in the other car and check the wires..........

Im not really sure of anything yet till I jam my muiltimeter on there haha

Was thinking its interesting that there is a pink wire on the inhibitor and a pink wire on what I assume is the torque converter lock up solenoid

If I were to guess, the pink on the inhibitor is engaged when in D, and then transfers over to the Torque converter solenoid which is always on while in D, and actually locks the converter when the governing pressure meets a certain requirement internally......

So this turned out a lot easier than I expected.

Vehicle I was putting the trans ins, happened to have plugs corresponding to the trans. IE, there were two wires that came out of the fire wall and were plugged together. Unplugging them showed that the car will no longer wind over, boom town, inhibitor swtich wiring plugs straight in.

Still had to run some wiring for the over drive tho, as I could not find any wiring for that under the dash. Its probably there somewhere,but very much could not find it.

Also my center consol wiring was just as easy, found a plug taped up under dash, pulled it down, plugged it in, boom, have hand brake light etc.

So I'm going to let Toyota off for now, as I had been cursing it a bit recently with What I had been doing.

SO To sum up

Inhibtor swtich wiring

Black and white are your actual start wires, so join in park and neutral

Pink and blue are your reverse light wires

Black on the other side Is the over drive solenoid, must have fuck all draw, wiring diagram in my manual shows it to be directly powered from the gauge wiring circuit, no relay etc.

And the pink, on the left hand side, I still have no idea about and don't care any more lol

• Like 2