Cleaning Break Dust

N3K

I have some 14x7 modgies I want to clean up and paint black. Behind the wheel is covered in break dust and thick oil from a broken axle seal.

You guys got any good product recommendations for cleaning this stuff off?

I also have a water blaster.

Oven cleaner (like paint stripper but much more mild) is generaly a alkaline cleaner with some foaming shit, so some brands will burn. It still is mostly useless for the purpose of cleaning wheels IMO. Well it will work but it's expensive and not that good. Basically if it doesn't move with soap then try a alkali (branded as water based) degreaser, after that move to oil based solvents. For wheels I would jump straight to scotch brite and gun wash or a general thinner. You won't get a much better solvent unless you go out of your way to buy MEK or some other deadly shit.

Yes agree, move your way up the grade of chemicals. Get the dirt off with mild degreaser and elbows. Then move on to solvents. I haven't met a wheel that has been on a car for a few years (without a OCD cleaning regime) that will clean up properly with just degreaser.

Will the scotch brite fk my chrome and scratch it up?

I have some strong acetone.. I wonder if that'd work with soapy water?

Sorry I was posting on my phone and didn't see this. Acetone is just one of the many solvents you can use, in consumer quantaties it is fairly expensive to use for general cleaning, although it will help remove tar etc.

Sorry if you don' t want to scratch the chrome then how will the paint stick? I just assumed you were dealing with fucked chrome hence the paint.

• Like 1

Sorry I was posting on my phone and didn't see this. Acetone is just one of the many solvents you can use, in consumer quantaties it is fairly expensive to use for general cleaning, although it will help remove tar etc.

Sorry if you don' t want to scratch the chrome then how will the paint stick? I just assumed you were dealing with fucked chrome hence the paint.

Oh I was going to dip them.