My re-registering a vehicle experience

keltik

Good write up :)

Thanks very much for taking the time.

I think to your final 3 questions you'd have different answers had it been for something you cannot buy, or cannot afford to buy but can do so this way?

So to underline your problem, 1999 Subaru Lancaster wagon. :P

We're all super pleased that the visit to VTNZ went well, I'm pretty sure all of us cringed when we read those dreaded capital letters!

• Like 2

they didn't give a shit about new brake parts or removing interior (lets face it, in my case there is no interior trim) on me landrover but that's a lot older vehicle - i believe on vehicles that were used imports for last case of registration that the dismantling and brake thing comes up but not so much on older vehicles. 

• Like 1

I think to your final 3 questions you'd have different answers had it been for something you cannot buy, or cannot afford to buy but can do so this way?

Oh yeah, totally right.  For anything oddball or old - its probably going to be worthwhile.  But unless you're saving more than 2-3k or if you plan on fully pulling the thing to bits and rebuilding it anyways, this is not the way to go.

So the moral of the story is:  If you want a cheap daily, just no.  If you want to revin something reasonable (Mr Duddley), consider repair cert first and prepare to need one...then its a piece of cake

• Like 1

Basically anything pre 92 is a hard WOF, post 92 is where they start stripping stuff out. I had a friend who bought an 86 GA70, and found it was fairly well riddled with rust. Ended up buying a deregistered 91 GA70 shell, swapping everything over and taking it for a revin. I told him to do brakes etc beforehand, and it flew through within a day, easy as.

• Like 1

yeah as above if the car is pre 1991/1992ish it's basically a stricter WOF inspection.

just to add my experience, I picked up a '97 Legnum 25ST-R with about 120,000kms on the clock that was repossessed - it had only just been vinned when imported two years prior but that was enough time for the first buyer (who must have ticked it up) to just drive it without spending anything on it - including registration. I paid $1000 for it, but this was in 2010 when they were still worth about $5k for a tidy one.

The repo agent had already put it through a re-vin and it came back with a list of failures, however he left it longer than the 28 days and therefore I had to pay for another fresh test. I took it back to the same place the repo guy had taken it to just because they were already familiar with it - though that didn't stop it coming back with a list of other faults that weren't picked up in the first inspection. The inspection was $400 and the first rego was something like $200, and I had spent maybe another $500 on it for replacement parts and tidying it up. Ended up selling for $4250 so made a cool $2000ish profit on it for a couple weeks work. In my case I feel it was worth the hassle. It would definitely be worth it for a pre 1992 vehicle. 

• Like 4