chrisr's nixie and electronic barrying thread

chris r

Remembered I had these in my hoard and had some inspiration to dig them out 

HpSAc7h.jpeg

zKVPQYU.jpeg

I'd forgotten how dirty they were 

NnFKhDk.jpeg

I'd forgotten/lost the link to remap the teensy so cheated a bit and ordered that board which replaces the original control board 

XHOkIY6.jpeg

Cleaned up the housings 

HZYROE9.jpeg

Tried a single keyboard worth of key caps in some dish soap. Left them to soak overnight and they came up pretty good with next to zero effort 

k1rbYci.jpeg

tuSgn4b.jpeg

The cat helped me sort and group the key caps

ZhKKC5E.jpeg

qWXiHg0.jpeg

One cleaned and usb converted model m. Only thing is the num ad scroll lock lights are swapped around. I'll see if I can figure out how to reprogram that. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, ~Slideways~ said:

Cool I didn't know this was a thing, where did you get it from?

Neither did I hah. I found it when I was looking for the instructions/remapping stuff for the other module 

https://keebd.com/products/model-h-usb-controller-upgrade-ibm-model-m?syclid=cl43vgetuops738tu4c0&utm_campaign=emailmarketing_140968493208&utm_medium=email&utm_source=shopify_email

• Like 2

Right so many hours later I've found the file/instructions and figured out how to remap the keys on the other converter so that two of them working and USB converted now

This one is running the original control/encoder board with a teensy module attached to it - Can kinda see the teensy module above it there

XzYx6TY.jpg

Ended up jumping between 4 different programes to sort out the mapping

Had to figure out what key was actually being pressed

taz4kiN.png

then cross-reference it to the table of key tags/labels.

The firmware I flashed into the teensy is called soarers converter and once everything is figured out you just need to create a text file with the remapping

awEuPH9.png

then enter that file into a compiler/flash tool

R7XTXGR.jpg

Then everything will work on the num pad. I've mapped the tab button as a backspace and the old scroll lock button as the windows button for now 

• Like 9

Part number says it came from a ibm 3277

I opened the board up and was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting it to be semi fucked but it's pretty good inside 

KODimiF.jpg

lYQDLJi.jpg

Dust cover thing was there but brittle and came apart when I touched it 

tAuePN9.jpg

I had hoped it had the circuit board that would let me just order and plug in the USB converter. 

I've found this old thread where someone designed a replacement pcb. Will need to figure out who/where to order it form 

https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?t=16867

• Like 4

Did some more digging and learning and now have ordered the PCB. I found the files for the converter and solenoid driver so I ordered them at the same time. The minimum order quantity was 5 so I've got spares if I mess up the SMD work.

I'll need to order a bunch of components but have some time until the PCB arrives as I ordered it on snail mail

krrKqyD.png

9dH2PSa.png

ZhaDGC3.png

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I figured since I was paying freight I'd order the solenoid driver board and usb converter board at the same time. I had my eye on a pre made board but for the same price I had 5 of each board and enough components to make 3 solenoid drivers. 

pbqe0fW.jpg

I've spent hours trawling old forum posts finding information and cross referencing stuff. Probably took the best part of 8 hours to trawl through old threads etc 

Bag of bits 

j81FLMR.jpg

Visited my mate who has patience and experience with smd stuff 

Talked some shit while he applied the paste and I passed the components. We made up a couple of solenoid drivers and one converter. I missed two components but can order them

nM98Bs3.jpeg

And in the oven 

o9ifsse.jpeg

And out of the oven 

z4qFb9A.webp

Fs6car0.jpeg

Iittle bit of re work needed then we can test it and I can spend a few more hours (days) looking for the software and flashing the micro. 

We both ran out of energy for the year so more progress will happen in the new year and once I order the missing components 

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

• 5 weeks later...

Long story short have a working board and solenoid driver 

9hveZ4z.jpg

Had to play around with some settings in the software as it it's a capacitive sensing switch and not a contact switch. Need to tweak voltage and current settings for everything to register correctly 

So each key needs to be mapped or assigned a function. The controller is designed to work with a variety of keyboards from this error so there are some unused rows or columns which need to be ignored as they aren't connected to anything 

vrM9p9Q.jpg

• Like 1