Weld through primer?

Guypie

Does anyone here use weld through primer when doing rust repairs? or everyone? is it necessary? I have started doing the rust repairs on my morrie, build thread will come when I have done enough to be worth posting about.

Also if it is the go what brand do you use/where do you get it from? Seems kinda pricey but if it keeps the rust away...

Cheers

Guy

Yes it will sit in the pot for several hours before setting, mix some up once your patches are cut and brush on, go have a beer and come back the next day and weld in. Nothing in a can comes close to the adhesion and durability of epoxy and it takes the welding heat like a champ. I sometimes throw the brushes away but gun wash (cheap generic solvents) are cheap as fuck, just keep recycling the old thinners and use it for the initial brush clean then a quick wash in clean thinners and the brush is clean for about 10c worth of product. If you are doing paint and panel work you should have a 20L of gunwash and wax and grease at your house also, it should be dirt cheap from a proper supplier. 

You are doing yourself/your car a disservice using can paint near any rust work IMO.

EDIT: I also buy stacks of the mixing pots from the paint supply shop, sometimes I clean them up but usually throw away. A 4L can of epoxy (makes like 6L), some brushes and mixing pots will be cheaper in the long run by a massive margin, those $20 cans are a rip off. I used to use Wurth & the kiwi (blue can) branded one, they seem to just be some lacquer primer/paint with stacks of zinc or something, it still burns and the data sheets says you have to seal with epoxy anyway?