Sounds like a bad UJ but is it?

Lump

I've been getting a weird intermittent chirping noise from my Jag lately - most noticeable at low speeds (almost like a monkey laughing) - it happens sometimes when going over bumps or around corners or just going straight and it is car speed dependent but not engine speed dependent. (I've given the car a good bounce from each corner but there are no noises when its stationary)

I've got the car up on stands at the moment (not for the first time with this issue) and its a real head scratcher - can't spot anything rubbing (exhaust pipes cables pipes etc.) - there doesn't seem to be any play or wear in the UJ's and the rear brakes have already been given a good soaking in brake cleaner.

I haven't ruled out it coming from the front - the lower wishbone bushes do look like they've had it (although it does sound like its coming from the rear)

Any suggestions?

Brakes, I don't know what model Jag you have, but most have their own handbrake pads mounted above caliper and it's quite common for one to break off a pad or come loose or a number of faults. Get it on a hoist and unbolt the lot and rotate them off over the top with the disc for easy inspection as they aren't visible in the majority of Jaguar.

Better living everyone.

• Like 2

I've removed the handbrake mechanisms cables etc. had one loose pad in one and a stone stuck in another one. - That'll be it I thought.

Went for a test drive without the handbrake - its not the handbrake! Must be one of the rear UJ's I seem to be able to trigger it by turning left suddenly (sometimes).

Time to order some UJ's and get hold of a hub puller

Checked the rear hubs today - both seemed to have that barely noticeable play that a lot of Pommie cars have.

I've pulled the drivers side hub and removed the half shaft (this seemed to be the side the noise was from) the inner UJ by the diff was nice and smooth while the outer one was a little 'notchy'. I removed the notchy one and its got some wear showing - its seems pretty light but I guess I'll know if this was the cause when I put it back together.

3wavo341.0cc.jpg

Righto - got everything bolted back together and it seems to have cured it.

Been for a quick test drive and haven't heard it squeaking - I guess time will tell ifs really gone.

Can't believe that little wear could cause so much noise - it must have been fine wearing in its grooves most of the time and then being occasionally put in a different position making the squeak and then moving back into its usual range of motion.

Cheers for the help guys - much appreciated.