GreenTC's 1978 Triumph 2500TC.

GreenTC

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been told by a couple of people that these are PI hubcaps, and then some say the very late model TC's (78,79) had these from new. I have pictures of the car in the late 70's with these on them, maybe they were swapped early on, I dunno.

A couple are a bit dented and scratched so I'm just seeing if there are any really mint ones out there.

Intake manifold won't need powder coating. It's alloy so a good blast and polish will see it come up lovely.

Remove the carbs as they need to come off in order to remove the intake manifold anyway.

Carbs can be individually cleaned and the top covers polished. While the intake side is off the engine you will have access to the engine bay which would have been hard to get to with the carbs still fitted.

Whip the rocker cover off and give it a repaint, new gasket and polished oil cap. Or you could get flash and fit a new alloy rocker cover from Rimmer Bros as they're not as expensive as you might think (and the black/silver one looks lush).

• Like 1

Intake manifold won't need powder coating. It's alloy so a good blast and polish will see it come up lovely.

Remove the carbs as they need to come off in order to remove the intake manifold anyway.

Carbs can be individually cleaned and the top covers polished. While the intake side is off the engine you will have access to the engine bay which would have been hard to get to with the carbs still fitted.

Whip the rocker cover off and give it a repaint, new gasket and polished oil cap. Or you could get flash and fit a new alloy rocker cover from Rimmer Bros as they're not as expensive as you might think (and the black/silver one looks lush).

As far as powder coating I was going to powder coat the air cleaner box and the box that holds the two air cleaners before the carbs. I think I'll just paint them gloss black, Bcos cheaper.

I've got a new rocker cover gasket to on on and will definitely be repainting the original (trying to keep it OG as possible).

Can anyone recommend a good place to give my intake mani a bit of a blast?

Radiator will also be getting a strip and respray to accompany its shiny new cap.

I'll have a go at polishing carbs covers/cleaning exterior of the carbs myself.

When I eventually get the balls I'll strip the engine bay down and take that for a respray .

There are a lot of low milage and fairly well looked after Triumphs that end up being sent to the wreckers etc. I would look for a secondhand radiator that is better than yours and then recore it if required.

My car still has the original radiator and it's actually in really good condition for its age, just like the rest of them when a few came into Zebra U Pick.

/Ask Roger Wilson from the Auckland Triumph club.