Need a hand to fix an alternator, large grunty soldering iron, Chch

NickJ

Alternator light came on, so pulled her out and had a poke around, for now the problem seems to be the solder connection between the rotor windings and the slip ring, I tried to solder it with my little iron but it just doesn't have the grunt, it could possibly be worse underneath but I'm not sure how much more is repairable under there?

Or,

Any reccomendations for wreckers with alternators on the shelf I could compare with to find an alternative that fits? Fiat bits are getting hard to find!

3cvkr13c.izi.jpg
Suggestions etc....

ea falcon ~100+A

bf mazda ~60A

both close but pully and spacing faff and probably gen light rewiring if your niva is externally regulated?

samara ?A but should bolt on?

all would be better than the old 45A Marelli

Pretty sure standard is 45A, either would be plenty! don't mind shaving the mounts to improve clearance and yeah, externally regulated but like you say thats only a few wiring changes to sort out.

I'll head down to pick a part in the morning for a look, the lada alternator has the tension adjustment off a stud perpendicular to the shaft, to save making a new mount I just kept the fiat alternator, although the cores look very similar in the workshop manual.

Will report back.....

On Friday morning I went to Pick a Part and pulled out the Samara alternator, checked a few vital dimensions and it appeared to have identical insides, perfect! took it home, stripped out the bits only to find there was a very slight difference in rotor diameter F*%K! tried to then make something that worked around all the bits which was even worse, mainly because the Samara mount is on the other side of the engine to the Niva, it seemed nothing was on my side, so I've dumped the old one back in with an incredibly dodgy solder fix.

Having a look around the falcons, they all have the same mounts, just the pulley is different, couldn't find an old enough model that will probably fit, but, shouldn't be too hard to graft the fiat pulley if 100A is ever required...

Mazda is the same dimensions, found a few that would work happy as, in hind sight I shoulda grabed one, but keeping everything simple sounded better at the time!

Being in Riccarton too, any chance I could pop over some time this week and get a dab of solder Mutiny?