Bent pushrod in xf falcon

jake.

My brothers xf falcon started running pretty rough the other day and I came to the conclusion that it was most likely the head gasket. Got to work getting it ready to take the head of and just as I'm about to remove the head bolts i notice the exhaust side push rod for cylinder 4 is not sitting under its rocker arm, have a look around and find the intake side pushrod is fully bent and not sitting quite in its seat for the rocker arm. Does anyone know what causes this? Is it because of a stuck lifter?

Pics to help

tumblr_nnympnkApo1uoj132o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nnympnkApo1uoj132o1_1280.jpg

:doubt:

ive had this a few times on xf motor, just bash the valve free or tap the lifter free, hammer the rod straight and all is well.

mines in a boat so i just put it down to corrosion. if it bends again no drama.

• Like 1

To bash the valve free do you just take the rocker arm off and tap it with a hammer? Will also try getting lifter out with a magnet. Cheers guys.

What would cause the valve to get stuck?

ah okay thats good to know SOHC, sweet will give it a try tomorrow Sentra, if not will just take the head off and send it away to get looked at. hopefully the valve and piston haven't had happy times with each other

I've seen pushrods on a slant 6 bend due to stuck guides. (Seppos chalk it up to stale gas varnishing up the valve stem)

I think the attempted fix was to punch a hole in the valve guide seal, and squirt lube in there. Then tapa valve. Car was never driven far after that. Fast forward 25 years, and the head was removed and guides where given some love with a wire tool.

if the valve is very sticky, pull the head. But if the valve seats a really fucked, don't lap them in too much, or the increased sealing will turn it into an oil hog.

A lot of people are removing those 6 cylinder motors to fit v8s, you can pick them up for a couple hundred bucks, they nearly all ways have bad cams and lifters and go tick tick tick dugga dugga dugga.