77 Mini Lighting woes.

Slacker_Sam.

I'm trying to fix up the lights on this mini, at the moment they are well on the piss. The issue is as follows:

With the headlights on the LH rear indicator is also on all the time.

With the lights off and the left indicator on it makes the park lights/tail lights go on both sides. Front and rear and the dash lights to the flashing motion of the indicator.

There is no issue with the right indicator, the headlights still operate fine on high and low beam.

I'm thinking earthing problems but im not sure where to start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chur

There is a body earth down by the fuel tank which is probably rust.

up front a rubbish push in connection near the bonnet catch behind the grille is a likely contender for lighting disasters.

May also be a dash earthing issue, not sure on this one though as mine doesn't have factory instrument cluster setup..

A German once told me a joke "Why do the English like warm beer? Because they all have lucas Fridges."

But anyway I pulled all the bulbs out cleaned the sockets, swore at it a few times, put some electrical grease on the bulbs, poked around in the boot, cleaned up the earths, checked the connector behind the grille, tested it and it was still on the piss.

Then I slammed the boot shut in disgust with the lights going and they all started working properly.....I don't even know.

No doubt they will be on the piss again tomorrow.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If you havnt crossed some wires somewhere it will be a crappy earth somewhere both my holdens have done similar crap at times ,I had to pretty much pull every part of all  lights apart clean them up and make sure everythings getting a good earth.where they were in bumpers etc I also had to take bumpers off and make sure they were making a good earth with the body. the fun and games of 40 plus year old cars eh.

If all else fails just rewire the whole car. There's fuck all of a loom in an old Mini so it's dead simple even for technophobes like me. The whole thing works off two fuses. Odds on you could even buy a new whole loom from England.