Smoking 283

moorepower

While we were away at beach hop my Chevy developed a bit of a problem.

When the engine is re started after sitting for at least 5 minutes (even over night) white smoke comes from the exhaust while idling and during acceleration and will last for up to 5 minutes. 

Once running for 5 minutes or more the smoke disappears.

I suspect my valve stem seals are gone. Can anyone confirm whether this would be the problem. Or if it could be something else?

It seems the temp gauge is sitting a 2/3 to 3/4 whereas it was always sitting on half before I had issues. Very rarely it made it to 2/3s if there was a long hill.

The gauge didn't get to maximum deflection during our trip from Whangamata to Auckland, but I was cautious and put the heater on up the big hills.

Recently I have changed the manifold and carb to Edelbrock performer and Edelbrock 500cfm. I changed the dizzy to HEI, put new 8mm leads and put new spark plugs in on Wednesday last week.

The spark plugs were black with carbon on Saturday when I checked them out, but they were not oily. The timing defintely needs to be reset again but my timing light broke before we went away so I haven't got around to it. It is running a bit rich.

I did an oil change at the start of Jan and have only done about 400kms since then. The oil was at 3/4 of the dipstick full line on Saturday when I checked it out, so yes it is using oil, but there are a number of oil leaks around the engine so it is hard to say if it is burning more oil than it used to.I think from memory I used the Penrite 25w- 70 classic car oil as well as the Morays oil stabilizer. 

I think a compression and leak down test is a good idea. 

A bunch of things here

If the manifold is not sealing properly you could have water getting in. Have you retorqued the bolts? Also did you use the gaskets under the ends of the manifold or bead of silicon? Normally I chuck the cork end gaskets because they will hold the manifold up and stop it from sealing properly.

The performer cards are great, make sure that your fuel pressure is right, I had a stock chevy pump that put out nearly 7 psi and that caused all sorts of grief.

Good luck.

Yea I though about the water galleries not sealing properly. I put a thin bead of silicon around each one, then put the gasket down, then another thin layer of silicon on top, then the intake. I put a 1/4" bead across the front and back of the manifold and threw the rubber ones that came with the kit in the bin. I think they were Mr Gasket ones. 

Ill put a fuel pressure gauge on. I have heard the stock replacement ones can cause issues. I replaced the Fuel pump the day before beach hop last year, and it has been running rich since, but I put that down to the crappy stock 2 barrel which was on the car.

Ill let you know how I get on.