Karls 1982 HR30 skyline coupe

280zx_nz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Meh, i'm over iron masks now. Can keep it :P

Ouch, that hurt.

Anyway, this is progressing at a greater rate of knots than I'd ever hope to achieve with my DR sedan. Kudos!

How well does the factory abacusECU cope with all of the bolt-on goodies, anyway?

• 2 weeks later...

hey dude if you decide to use 3.5" on the exhaust just be aware you will lose a heap of ground clearance and 3.5" mufflers are expensive and usually hard to find. Twin 2.5 inch thru middle of car works good with last two bends in 3.5 inch to a edelbrock muffler at back is cost effective and sounds very meaty. Ran this exact system on my 300zx cost me 350 bucks all up. Was a few years back.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd be quite interested to see if that R31 spoiler ends up looking good on the back of the R30. Considered buying one for my sedan.

Scott/brdflu and I had a few discussions in his thread about the very same thing.

From memory / experience I hope your engine builder knows L series oil galleries well. I had this same procedure done to a l28 to fit my front sumped 240k. The engine builder I used (built Don McLean's engines and the bottom end of samurai 240z) said it was relatively tricky to ensure the boss is drilled to enter the oil gallery and you only get one shot at it. It didn't cost much to get the pro to do.

• 4 weeks later...

From memory / experience I hope your engine builder knows L series oil galleries well. I had this same procedure done to a l28 to fit my front sumped 240k. The engine builder I used (built Don McLean's engines and the bottom end of samurai 240z) said it was relatively tricky to ensure the boss is drilled to enter the oil gallery and you only get one shot at it. It didn't cost much to get the pro to do.

Yup it was done properly....However, I done this mod to a L28 last week and lets just say.......alcohol+drilling the hole, not such a good idea lawl!! must have been a pocket of rust or cast imperfection, went through the side of the block in one section, plenty of meat around it though.

Pre heated the area and welded it at a very high setting, cleaned up with tungsten burr and its good as new!  

Going to be painting bits n pieces off the engine this weekend and hopefully will be back in this week coming :D 

• 3 weeks later...