Jase's Shed Building Journey

j.e.d.

Bro, my 5c worth ... I wouldn't go chopping up that high density stuff just yet. But first things first ... is that cable 3ph? It is aye? Have you got 3ph running to the house? I'd be getting 3ph out to your shed. A shed as big as yours shows you're into it. Sooner or later, you are going to want to import some decent capability into your shed in the form machinery. It don't matter what sorta gear you're looking at - because there will be an equivalent HD item found second hand from industry that will last longer, go harder and run cheaper than the domestic version you can get from ripco/bunnings. A lot of it can be had reasonably cheaply also. No one ever regretted getting 3ph in their shed. It fucken costs though. In anycase ... you'd be wanting to get a meter in there too.

Shelving ... don't build your own. You'll never build a setup that will be as strong, durable and as versatile as dexion pallet racking. You are going to change your shelving configuration and location. I put money on it. As you become accustomed to your new found surroundings, certain things are going to pop up in your head about your current arrangement. Wooden shit does not change easy and is piss weak compared to industrial spec shit. You can use that high density stuff you have as filler for the pallet racking. You can shorten the depth down to suit yourself. This is what i did and i have never looked back. I've changed mine (major change) twice. Some people want moonbeams for the stuff up in jaffa land while yet some scrap yards are full of the shit. You gotta look around. 

Your shed is going to be a cold hole. You are not going to want to be out there in the winter. And if you are out there - you are going to be working slow and everything is going to seem like a chore. Get yourself a waste oil burner. I'm a fucking expert in keeping warm in a big arse shed, haha! 

You need to think work flow.

this will show you where and how much shelving you'll need. It will show you where the power needs to be/go. It'll show you where your clean and not so clean areas are going to be. I've been where you are mate. 

Best.

• Like 1

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, thanks man. It's been a journey that's for bloody sure but nearly all done.

Big thanks to Styles too for the couch - perfect addition for the communal area. Positioned perfectly for just sitting & staring at my cars & not getting a lot done  :-D

• Like 2