DIY pocket speaker

cubastreet

A mate gave me one of those rechargeable pocket speakers a couple of years ago and it's been real handy, but isn't really loud enough once you have more than a couple of people hanging around.

Enter the old Jansen:

IMG_20150120_140135_zpshrxdhpso.jpg

It's ex porirua high school so it's been well looked after but it looks like someone's poured beer into the amp section and I've had it for about a year and haven't got around to fixing it.

So I decided to chuck in an old Pioneer car amp that was lying around and an old car battery too:

IMG_20150122_083721_zpsssrzepb1.jpg

This is how I've set it up just to test the concept. I hooked it up and it just rocks.

I'll get some battery terminals and hook up some charging facilities, also a usb Jack and maybe a Bluetooth receiver.

• Like 6

What will you use for a Bluetooth receiver? Ive gotta make something similar for the wedding and so far I was thinking 12v battery, inverter, NAD amp I had lying about, spkrs,  and butchering something like a Bluetooth speaker so someone in the seats can play DJ on their phone.

Nice, looks the business.

Have been playing with bluetooth stuff myself lately, the cheap receivers on TM work well, I have a couple to integrate into existing stereos. Ground loops can be a problem if you plan on hooking up the receiver to the amplifier power source, I have a some isolating dc-dc converters which apparently should fix it.  

Yeah gotta watch that, thanks for the heads up. It's an 800w Sine wave one but I've change my mind on this.

Went down to Jaycar and bought a cheap 50wpc class AB car stereo amp as I figured it's a pretty inefficient way to do this by inverting 12v up to 230v then back down to ~40v via the transformer in the NAD.

May as well use the inverters in an efficient design and it's a lot less clunkier/easy to use which is important as it gets loaned to the PTA every year for the Santa Parade float sound system.