Matt's AE101 Trueno trackcar

_Matt

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also with the extractors I had similar issues with mine. Best solution I found in the end was to just use some 300 deg silicon and not worry about a gasket.

and when I say some I mean quite a lot... like 1/4 of a tube each time I took it apart with a nice thick bead around the outside.

Starting with a fresh clean face and a bit of warmth in the extractors then layer the stuff on and jam together then run the car at idle for a few mins then leave overnight to cure.

@Mark, didn't think to check if they're flat. Hopefully the new gasket I made works, otherwise I'll use gasket goo like Rhys suggested.

@Rhys, I tried putting the sandwich plate straight on the block but the nut was even further away from fitting.

Vern made up me some hub centric rings, since no-one seemed to have any the right size for my wheels.

IMG_0672.jpg

It has a lot to do with how much movement there is in the exhaust as well. If it isn't bolted in at least 3-4 locations then it will always split a gasket on heating/cooling/hitting the ground etc.

I never use gaskets anymore for exhausts. Just sealant

Finished the oil cooler setup.

Damn fittings and hose can be expensive.

IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

Also new tow strap since I have a pair of the other ones and want to use them for some interior door handles, once I can afford some aluminium sheet for door cards.

IMG_0675.jpg

Front toe is way off as well for some reason, so will defiantly need to take it in to get a wheel alignment before driving it too far.

• 2 weeks later...

Made some aluminium door cards.

Looks much tidier and I no longer have to slam the door to close it, since the original ones were hitting on the cage.

Still need to do something with the blue above them. Might just carbon fibre wrap it.

IMG_0676.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

It has a decent hesitation for 2500-3500 rpm when I give it above half or more throttle. Starts popping/backfiring etc.

So checked the ecu codes and came up with #25, which is Air-Fuel Ratio Lean.

Any ideas on what things to check?

Fuel pump, fuel filter woukd be a good place to start

It has a decent hesitation for 2500-3500 rpm when I give it above half or more throttle. Starts popping/backfiring etc.

• Like 1

Cool!

Now paint that middle section, it looked way more normal. At the moment it reminds me of cars you see where thy have put a body kit on from another car but can't afford to paint it yet

Agreed, the durp crashed look is a bit silly.

I tried somethings to fix the problem, so I disconnect the VVT solenoid. Took it for a drive and it goes mint!

The solenoid seems to working properly when 12v is applied to it.

• 3 weeks later...

Attended round 1 of the Manawatu Toolshed Trackday Series on Saturday.

Went awesome, apart from the first race when both the shifter cable clips disappeared, so I couldn't change gears very easily.

We managed to use some wire and cable ties for a temporary fix.

I was running some very worn Bridgestone Potenza RE11's on the front and Toyo road tyres on the back.

MyLaps says I got 01:31:479 on my 3rd outing, but doesn't show what I got on the last 2 races.

Definitely need some better tyres and brake pads.

1902722_620462208086434_7904436351330881

Here's the 1:31.4

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Plugged in another ECU this weekend (thanks Mark!) and runs awesome.

It fixed the problem of it running like ass when the VVT solenoid is plugged in. So happy, can actually feel VVT kick in.

Also decided to paint the lower door area champagne. Looks much better!

Just need to paint the top of the rear bumper/under the taillights white.

Did some grass skids the weekend before too.

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0761.jpg

grass.jpg

• Like 7